Remote Access

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I have my Dahua Starlight cams connected to my Dahua NVR and my NVR connected to my Netgear R7000 router.

I have spent several hours reading the VPN primer and trying to install OpenVPN and Tunnelbrick on my iMac in order to create a VPN that will allow me to access my cameras when away from home.

Can someone please help me understand? I think I am able to use OpenVPN or Tunnelblick for free and be able to access my cameras on my iPhone, right? If not, any explanation would help as I am not understanding this concept. Thanks so much!

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OpenVPN is free. You need to setup your router to run OpenVPN. Check your router manual. Then you need to install the app on your phone. Your router will generate an authentication key you need to email to your phone to allow the app to make a connection. If your IP address can change you need to set up a dynamic DYN service to allow access to your router if the IP address should change.

Google is you’re friend. Google setting up VPN on your router. Google setting up OpenVPN on your phone.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Setting up your iphone should be pretty easy.

Before you start, download the OpenVPN connect app and install on your iphone.

1- open router in Advanced mode and download the package for smartphone - Also make sure and check "Enable VPN" on that screen. Leave settings default
1B- Reboot router
2- unzip that file and upload to itunes on your laptop
3- Connect iphone to laptop with itunes open
4- Click on the phone icon and open the screen shown in picture #3 attached
5- click on "File Sharing" which opens another view with your apps
6- Highlight OpenVPN and then using the :Add file" button, navigate to the unzipped folder on your laptop and select the files within (4 i think)

Before you close itunes, hit the "sync" button and you should be good to go.

Open your OpenVPM app and it may ask you to install a .ovpn file, and say ok. Then you should get a green indicator that you are connected.

Of course to reach your NVR, you will now be inside your home LAN so the address on your NVR should now be an internal IP something like 192.168.1.108

Attachments

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your help and the tips. I was able to get OpenVPN to work. I appreciate the assistance! This group is great.