Remote Camera with NanoBeam AC

Reaction score
Hello,

I am setting up a remote Hikvision camera in the following setup. I have the camera powered with a Poe adaptor. I also have the nanobeam being powered with a Poe adaptor. I then plugged an ethernet cable from the Lan port on one Poe adaptor into the Lan port on the other. However, the camera is not coming online. This is probably meaning the camera is not getting an IP.
The nanobeam is connected to the access point and I get internet when I plug my laptop into the LAN port of the nanobeam Lan port.

Both the nanobeam and the access point(also nanobeam) are set to bridge mode.

The nanobeam station antenna and the camera are set to DHCP. The antenna comes online with a good connection but no connection on the camera. the camera was setup before in my office and was working fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.My Setup.jpeg

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have a IP scan utility or the camera setup utility on your laptop?

Maybe a bad POE adapter?

What CAD program are you using? It looks simple enough that I might be able to handle it.

Reaction score
Do you have a IP scan utility or the camera setup utility on your laptop?

Maybe a bad POE adapter?

What CAD program are you using? It looks simple enough that I might be able to handle it.
I do have an ip scan utility on my laptop yes. Maybe getting the camera setup utility could help?

I have 2 new poe adapters that were both working in the office. Very unlikely problem.

I am not sure what CAD program you mean. Please explain. Thanks

Reaction score
why not put everything on static ip addresses, that way you can ping the cameras ip address to see if it is connected?
You have a very great idea. I am new to this.
Let me give that a try.
However, do you guys agree that my setup should work without a network switch as long as I don't need to add another device to it?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Use the Hikvision SADP app on your laptop that is connected to the same LAN to detect the camera. SADP does not need to be on the same subnet (IP range), just on the same physical LAN. If SADP does not see it, it's not an IP issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While we're at it, do these nanobeam and other common Ubiquiti work with Poe af injectors? The manuals all say passive 24v so I didn't want to damage anything. Probably better idea to stay with 24v injectors?
Usually not, always best to use Ubiquiti's POE injectors that are shown as compatible in the nanobeams specs. They're inexpensive, and provide surge protection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Both the nanobeam and the access point(also nanobeam) are set to bridge mode.
If you set up BOTH radios as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge like this it'll work. Assign unique static IP's to both radios and the cam in the same subnet as your router's LAN but outside of its DHCP pool ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

If set up correctly the Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The poe adapter on the remote end provides power to the nanobeam only. You need to provide poe between the ethenet port on the nano to feed the camera.
Those adapters that feed the nano are 24v and you need a true adapter to feed the camera which provides 44 to 57 volts.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but out of curiousity does anybody know if somebody makes an equivalent product with 2 RJ-45 connections that are not proprietary voltage?
Like POE plug and play

Reaction score
Use the Hikvision SADP app on your laptop that is connected to the same LAN to detect the camera. SADP does not need to be on the same subnet (IP range), just on the same physical LAN. If SADP does not see it, it's not an IP issue.
SADP does not find it....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're attempting to power the cam from the right port on the Nanobeam as in your sketch, it won't work.
The Nanobeam needs its own 24VDC passive power injector.
The cam (assuming it's 802.3af POE) needs its own POE injector or POE switch, either of which must be 802.3af/at compliant.

Note the image below. The left side port is for the 24VDC passive power injector, typically supplied or sold by Ubiquiti.
The right port is to power another Ubiquiti device that works with a 24VDC passive power injector and is NOT 802.3af compliant.

nanobeam.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The poe adapter on the remote end provides power to the nanobeam only. You need to provide poe between the ethenet port on the nano to feed the camera.
Those adapters that feed the nano are 24v and you need a true adapter to feed the camera which provides 44 to 57 volts.
Yes I have 2 poe injectors as shown in the diagram. one 24v for the nano and one poe af for the camera

Reaction score
If you're attmpting to power the cam from the right port on the Nanobeam as in your sketch, it won't work.
The Nanobeam needs its own 24VDC passive power injector.
The cam (assuming it's 802.3af POE) needs its own POE injector or POE switch, either of which must be 802.3af/at compliant.

Note the image below. The left side port is for the 24VDC passive power injector, typically supplied or sold by Ubiquiti.
The right port is to power another Ubiquiti device that works with a 24VDC passive power injector and is NOT 802.3af compliant.

View attachment 148321
I do not have the nanobeam ac gen 2 so I only have one port. I have 2 POE injectors. One 24v for powering the nanobeam, and one 802.3af for powering the camera. I then connected the 2 LAN ports from the POE injectors with an ethernet cable. All new cables. Also, I have tested this exact same setup at my office on a completely different LAN network and it works. Possibly some kind of setting on the main LAN Router? Any suggestions on how to approach the problem would be great.

Reaction score
If you set up BOTH radios as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge like this it'll work. Assign unique static IP's to both radios and the cam in the same subnet as your router's LAN but outside of its DHCP pool ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

If set up correctly the Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.
According to this statement, Plugging into the Station should be the exact same thing as plugging directly into the network switch?