Remote connection to NVR without static IP

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got a location with an NVR without internet connection.
I want to place a 4G/LTE router (Teltonika RUT240) with a SIM card and a data plan of 1 GB (which is within the budget).
Client only wants to view the cams whenever there has been an event, so very rarely.

Now this SIM card doesn't have a static IP, so how could I connect to the NVR? OpenVPN requires an IP, doesn't need to be static but I'm not sure if DDNS is possible with a sim card?

Zerotier could be used, but I've read that it uses a lot of 'idle' data, up to 2 GB per month! I assume this is the same for Dahua P2P, safety/trust issues aside.

Getting a static IP from the provider also isn't an option, because they charge a lot of money for that.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Zerotier could be used, but I've read that it uses a lot of 'idle' data, up to 2 GB per month!
I was going to suggest ZeroTier, but how would you run it on an NVR?. Is there a Windows box on the network ?. I know some amount of outgoing requests to ZeroTier are required, but 2G wow!

DDNS requires some kind of client to update the DDNS server. Most routers have a built in client for the major DDNS providers. Not sure if the Teltonika offers that.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was going to suggest ZeroTier, but how would you run it on an NVR?. Is there a Windows box on the network ?. I know some amount of outgoing requests to ZeroTier are required, but 2G wow!

DDNS requires some kind of client to update the DDNS server. Most routers have a built in client for the major DDNS providers. Not sure if the Teltonika offers that.
The Teltonika RUT240 has built in ZeroTier capability and also offers about 25 DDNS services.
1687952937984.png

I did read that since 6 months ZeroTier has a update with ZeroTier Low Bandwidth mode, but I'm not sure if that has been rolled out to the Teltonika routers.

I found a provider which offers 5 GB a month for just a little more, might try that.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Teltonika RUT240 has built in ZeroTier capability and also offers about 25 DDNS services.
View attachment 166440

I did read that since 6 months ZeroTier has a update with ZeroTier Low Bandwidth mode, but I'm not sure if that has been rolled out to the Teltonika routers.

I found a provider which offers 5 GB a month for just a little more, might try that.
Nice features, thanks !

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To update: I've been running an NVR4208-8P-4KS2 connected to a RUT241 and P2P uses just under 7 MB a day when idle (so no viewing). So it's not as bad as other people have said.