Remote control for electrical circuit?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone could recommend some device that I could install on an electrical circuit that would allow me to remotely turn on/off something?

1683752303309.png

Something like this, but instead of normal power outlets, something that just exposes +/- wires for a hardwired device, and something that doesn't rely on a proprietary phone app but instead some open standard that could be integrated in a script locally.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Define "remotely". Are you able to use powerline communication? Short range RF? Or do you want to control over the internet and/or wifi?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ideally WIFI or normal Ethernet so that I could just control that device from my local network by doing http requests to it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That might be exactly what I need!

But I need to check if I have a neutral wire up there;
Working without a neutral line No

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thinking about it again, that Shelly 1 UL will work; I got confused with a light switch where I don't have neutrals.
The device where I want to use that Shelly is already under constant power with no switch in the circuit so it must already have a neutral wired to it by default. I'd just be reusing those wires and running new ones from the shelly to my device.

In their example wiring in the documentation, what does SW correspond to?

1683823585023.png
SWSwitch (controlling O) input terminal
Isn't very descriptive to me. Why would you wire up an extra physical switch for your shelly switch?

And the I/O terminals I'd just wire up my device in there right?
ILoad circuit input terminal
OLoad circuit output terminal
"Load circuit input/output" isn't very descriptive again, they just mean "your bulb's + and - wires", right?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for that color coded diagram, that clears up any confusion I had.

Reaction score
Thanks for that color coded diagram, that clears up any confusion I had.
I had to LOL because I often sketch out electrical circuits that I'm going to be working on. For example, I replace a lot
of regular switches with Z-wave switches, and some of the 3-way and 4-way circuits you have for porch or outdoor lighting can
get tricky at times. Well, it's always difficult to sketch the neutral wire, of course, because white lines don't show up
too well on white paper! :wtf:. I've used the old two pencil lines, a gray marker, etc. You can't use a red marker because
the traveler wires are often red. So a friend of mine who is an electrician uses a blue pen for the neutral wire because
BLUE rhymes with NEU in NEUTRAL, and we jokingly call it the BLUETRAL wire.
@TonyR and I are on the same page with wiring diagrams! :thumb:

Anyway, excellent information here on the Shelly devices and wiring them up!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had to LOL because I often sketch out electrical circuits that I'm going to be working on. For example, I replace a lot
of regular switches with Z-wave switches, and some of the 3-way and 4-way circuits you have for porch or outdoor lighting can
get tricky at times. Well, it's always difficult to sketch the neutral wire, of course, because white lines don't show up
too well on white paper! :wtf:. I've used the old two pencil lines, a gray marker, etc. You can't use a red marker because
the traveler wires are often red. So a friend of mine who is an electrician uses a blue pen for the neutral wire because
BLUE rhymes with NEU in NEUTRAL, and we jokingly call it the BLUETRAL wire.
@TonyR and I are on the same page with wiring diagrams! :thumb:

Anyway, excellent information here on the Shelly devices and wiring them up!
Blue is also the color for the neutral conductor in Europe so it's a "win-win", IMO. :cool:

To be honest, I was a tad lazy, I took someone else's drawing, erased and redrew a line here and there to put the neutral on the screw threads (they had it coming in on the top of the bulb) and erased a couple of lines running to more downstream wiring and made the junctions more obvious with dots, blue or black, as appropriate. That makes real-world 3D wiring more obvious in a 2D drawing, IMO.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Speaking of the Shelly stuff, what other devices from them are you guys running?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've also been using another Shelly Wifi Motion Sensor under an eave for motion in the front yard.
1683911065823.png

While the sensor is not rated for outdoor use, I've been using it without issue since Sep 2021.

I installed it after we had a visit from a wild boar and my cameras did not trigger. Not sure why. But I decided to try a redundant motion detector.
1683911199490.png
(Fortunately this visit did not result in lawn damage like some of our neighbors that very night. In this case, the boar pictured above was scared off by my motion-triggered sprinkler, which I caught on a clip.)

I use the Shelly sensor to send an emergency pushover notification with a camera group snapshot - showing the triggering event in all 3 cameras that cover the area.

Last edited: