Remote Location Camera Powered By Solar Panels

Cheryl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
We are looking at the Dahua SD8A840VI-HNI or SD8A840WA-HNI and which will be located in a remote area powered with solar panels/batteries. We have questions that we are having a hard time getting answers to, is there anyone here that might be experienced with this and able to help by answering a few questions? Dahua will only answer questions after we have a serial number so we can’t ask them directly.
Thanks!!

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Cheryl

Feel free to DM me with a list of questions. Will help where I can or alternatively post the questions here. Operating PTZs on Solar only does pose its own set of ‘interesting issues’ based on draw, PTZ operations causing spikes and of course quality & consistency of supplied power. If you can provide a rundown of equipment you are using , details on install location and power available from your solar setup that would help. Again feel free to reach out.

Hello,
We are looking at the Dahua SD8A840VI-HNI or SD8A840WA-HNI and which will be located in a remote area powered with solar panels/batteries. We have questions that we are having a hard time getting answers to, is there anyone here that might be experienced with this and able to help by answering a few questions? Dahua will only answer questions after we have a serial number so we can’t ask them directly.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheryl, I've not done solar on CCTV, but have looked into it a lot for my pond and also a simple dawn to dusk light. There are solar calculators out there that will help you calculate your potential reuirements. One of the biggest issues with solar is running something 24/7 especially in winter - you haven't filled out your location so this makes it more difficult. Even a small load can demand quite a large system when running 24/7.

There's a sizing calulator here - different ones seem to produce different results so I'd probably try a few different ones: Solar Power Sizing Calculator

You will be surprised how many watt hours such a camera will use and thus the size of system required (and cost). Also remember all the supporting euipment needs to be included as well eg if all remotely located, poe switches, NVR, modem, monitor etc etc. and maybe some margin for either other equipment. power spikes or something you might add eg a lightbulb to light your shed!!

Your zip code will also have a massive influence as the average number of sun hours per day differs massively according to location. Generally the further north, the less hours and the bigger system and more cost.

One final point, don't forget redundancy. If your panels doesn't get sun for several days becasue of storms, or if northerly, snow, you need to allow for that and try to work out how many really dark days or days with the panel covered you're likely to experience when the batteries might not be charging.