Remote location set-up

bucko81

n3wb
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I have a secondary home in a rural area, with no wifi. This might be a dumb question, but can I install cameras with a nvr set up at my secondary home and be able to view them from my Iphone while I’m back at my main home?

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you can provide...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have internet service at the remote house, with a reasonable upload speed. Wifi has no bearing on this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you at least have electric power? If so then it is possible to use a cellular or satellite internet connection. Most such internet services do not offer you a public IP address which can accept incoming connections, so a complicated VPN setup or an always-on PC running remote access software like teamviewer would be necessary.

bucko81

n3wb
Reaction score
I assume you at least have electric power? If so then it is possible to use a cellular or satellite internet connection. Most such internet services do not offer you a public IP address which can accept incoming connections, so a complicated VPN setup or an always-on PC running remote access software like teamviewer would be necessary.
Yes, I do have power..

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
most game cams just record locally (ie, to onboard storage). You will need some sort of connectivity into/out of the property. whether it's through a localISP( xDSL,cable,fiber) or cell service...
without SOME sort of connection from outside, you'll only have local access. Of course, you can set up an NVR with IP cameras on your local network, but without some connction OUT, you'll only be able to review footage whene you're there. come to think of it, just like a game cam. there ya go. :)