Remote On-Off Battery Switch

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not, it's designed for 12v. If it did work, it might drain a 9v battery faster than you'd want.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably not, it's designed for 12v. If it did work, it might drain a 9v battery faster than you'd want.
Yeah, some of the reviews are saying that the battery can drain in a week for a 9 volt. I saw a couple different ones that had variable voltages including 9 volts. I'll have to try one of those instead.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, some of the reviews are saying that the battery can drain in a week for a 9 volt. I saw a couple different ones that had variable voltages including 9 volts. I'll have to try one of those instead.
What are you trying to control?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of these. (Laser / flashing lights covered up - sound only mode):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN8D13C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an electronic dog repellent that uses a 9 volt battery. It emits ultra sound frequencies that dogs don't particularly like very much which can make them scatter away from an area.
You could power it other ways.

There are a lot of OTS 12v remotes, hook one to a larger 12V SLA battery and then to a power supply or regulator that steps it down from 12V to 9V.
You could rig up a PIR motion sensor to turn it on.
You could power it with an AC adapter.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could power it other ways.

There are a lot of OTS 12v remotes, hook one to a larger 12V SLA battery and then to a power supply or regulator that steps it down from 12V to 9V.
You could rig up a PIR motion sensor to turn it on.
You could power it with an AC adapter.
Hoping to power the device with the 9 volt battery it comes with. I just need a remote that would basically just disconnect one of the battery leads and connect the lead when I press a button on the remote.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hoping to power the device with the 9 volt battery it comes with. I just need a remote that would basically just disconnect one of the battery leads and connect the lead when I press a button on the remote.
In this scenario, the remote switch uses power all the time listening for a signal from the transmitter. You'd drain the battery faster than you'd like and 9Vs are expensive and relatively low capacity compared to say a li-ion battery. Best case scenario for a battery powered receiver would be something that sleeps most of the time and wakes up for a fraction of a second every few seconds and then a transmitter that transmits continuously for several seconds (long enough that the receiver hopefully catches it). Even in this scenario it would eat batteries. As an example, think about a typical RC car, if you forget to switch it off in a few hours time the receiver uses up all the batteries just sitting there doing nothing listing for the remote to tell it to do something.

There some chips that might yield tolerable battery life, but I haven't seen an off the shelf remote product that uses them. OTS products of this vane are too easily abused.

Rigging up a motion sensor or adapting to a larger 12v sla battery would be the easiest options. Connecting it to an AC adapter would also work well.

Last edited:

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
aren't there already pest deterrent devices on the market that can be externally powered and with inbuilt PIR movement sensors?

something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repellent-Aspectek-Ultrasonic-Electronic-Deterrent/dp/B079HY269C/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1531209784&sr=8-20&keywords=pest+deterrent+ultrasonic

probably a simpler and more reliable solution
Yeah I'm getting a couple like that for the back yard, but for the front yard, there are people who let their dogs pee on my trashcan all the time and so it would be nice to have the capability to just scare them off in real time, only if they look like they are starting to pee on the trash can. Most dog owners just don't realize how rude they are being when they let their dogs pee on other peoples property. Even if it is just a trash can. That trash can goes into the garage which is just outside peoples garage home entry doors some times. I digress.. :wtf:

:poop: :poop: :poop:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're upset because a dog peed on your trash can?

Your life must be blessed. I sincerely hope this is your biggest problem.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're upset because a dog peed on your trash can?

Your life must be blessed. I sincerely hope this is your biggest problem.
No, it's not the biggest problem, but it is one of the many annoying things that neighbors sometimes do that I would like to turn around and make it into a fun game so that it can give me a chuckle. But also, really, most dog owners don't realize how disrespectful they can sometimes be without realizing it.

Granted it's worse when dogs take a large giant massive steaming pile of :poop: in your yard and the dog owners don't pick it up, but also, even just peeing on your stuff is not always cool, man. What happens is one dog pees on it and before the end of the day, 10 other dogs have also peed on it because of the scent. It's just disrespectful and if tech can help turn it around into something funny then I'm all for that. I also have OCD. But also, I have read about a lot of people that don't like dogs even peeing in their yard because it burns out the lawn. I don't care about that so much but I have heard stories that it can really get to people. I knew this one person whose neighbor had 3 dogs and they didn't get along with their neighbor and so the neighbor with the 3 dogs made a hole near the property line and put all the dog feces in the hole next to the neighbors house and they couldn't do anything about it. It was a large hole filled with :poop: near the property line. And that was with an HOA. Crazy what some dog owners get away with...

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, it's not the biggest problem, but it is one of the many annoying things that neighbors sometimes do that I would like to turn around and make it into a fun game so that it can give me a chuckle. But also, really, most dog owners don't realize how disrespectful they can sometimes be without realizing it.

Granted it's worse when dogs take a large giant massive steaming pile of :poop: in your yard and the dog owners don't pick it up, but also, even just peeing on your stuff is not always cool, man. What happens is one dog pees on it and before the end of the day, 10 other dogs have also peed on it because of the scent. It's just disrespectful and if tech can help turn it around into something funny then I'm all for that. I also have OCD. But also, I have read about a lot of people that don't like dogs even peeing in their yard because it burns out the lawn. I don't care about that so much but I have heard stories that it can really get to people. I knew this one person whose neighbor had 3 dogs and they didn't get along with their neighbor and so the neighbor with the 3 dogs made a hole near the property line and put all the dog feces in the hole next to the neighbors house and they couldn't do anything about it. It was a large hole filled with :poop: near the property line. And that was with an HOA. Crazy what some dog owners get away with...
Are you on any medication currently?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
or place a wire mesh in the grass and hook it to a low volts AC feed, the ring pulse on a phone system is around 48v and gives quite a belt IIRC ;-)