Remote viewing of single camera in it's own group

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me here please? I am running 16 cameras on BI v5..7.8.2 x64 without any issues. My grand-kids (in two different locations) would like to be able to remotely view my pond(!) and I do not seem to be able to get BI to allow this.

I have made a group which only has the single "pond" camera in it. I have created a user that should only be able to see that camera group and given it a user name and password - alphanumeric, no special characters. I have a static IP address.

When I use the following "" I get a dialogue box on screen asking me to put in my username and password.

When I put in the user name and password of the group I created, it refuses to let me in and the empty dialogue box returns. What am I doing wrong? I do not want to have put in my full user and password which I think would give them access to all the cams?

Would appreciate any help get the grand-kids looking at the pond!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this:

Code:
http://staticIP:81/ui3.htm?group=<name of group with the pond cam>
Substitute the correct name for the "name of group with the pond cam", leave off < and >.

Last edited:

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this:

Code:
http://staticIP:81/ui3.htm?group=<name of group with the pond cam>
Substitute the correct name for the "name of group with the pond cam", leave off < and >.
Thanks Tony, Will try this. One further question if I may, is their an easy way to switch webcasting for a particular camera on & off? I ask as don't want grand-kids looking at pond when they should be asleep etc!! I know I can go into BI and untick enable webserver but hat seems rather convoluted especially if not near the PC running BI.

Thanks again for help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In BI "settings" => "user", the user you created for them can be enabled during certain hours and days. You can also limit how long they can view at one sitting, etc.
Check it out! :cool:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is your remote viewing configured correctly ie are you using a VPN and have you correctly set up the VPN client on their device?

Can you get in remotely to the rest of your cameras when away from the home?

Answering these questions might help point where the issue lies ie with BI or your router's remote access. eg if you were able to remote in away from home to see your own cameras before you tried to give them remote access then the issue probably lies in the BI settings. If you weren't able to remote in away from home, then it could be either and you may need to look at your router settings as well as BI.

I always think a good place to start in testing BI settings is to try to remote in from eg a tv browser using you LAN. If you can set that up correctly, then it's not hard to follow the same formula to set up a remote permission.

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI "settings" => "user", the user you created for them can be enabled during certain hours and days. You can also limit how long they can view at one sitting, etc.
Check it out! :cool:
Thanks for this - I am invariably surprised at what BI can actually do....

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your remote viewing configured correctly ie are you using a VPN and have you correctly set up the VPN client on their device?

Can you get in remotely to the rest of your cameras when away from the home?

Answering these questions might help point where the issue lies ie with BI or your router's remote access. eg if you were able to remote in away from home to see your own cameras before you tried to give them remote access then the issue probably lies in the BI settings. If you weren't able to remote in away from home, then it could be either and you may need to look at your router settings as well as BI.

I always think a good place to start in testing BI settings is to try to remote in from eg a tv browser using you LAN. If you can set that up correctly, then it's not hard to follow the same formula to set up a remote permission.
Thanks for comments. Am not using a VPN and can access all cameras in BI when I log in with my user and pass when out via the static IP. My issue was that I could not access just the pond camera and I would prefer the grand-kids not to be able to change everything!! I can make enough errors on my own!

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Am pleased to say that I am now able to see my pond camera as an individual group and so can the grand-kids....brownie points for me! However, i would now like to avoid the "security" warnings that FF and Chrome give out when accessing my site. I have installed stunnel and set up a port redirection so a more secure site can be viewed. However, I am having "certificate" problems as both browsers still give an "insecure" warning. While it is possible to ignore warnings and access camera, it there a "total idiots" guide as to how to obtain a suitable certificate that will get rid of these warnings please?

Am using
https://staticIP:8xxx/ui3.htm?group=pond if it makes any difference.

Any help greatly appreciated.