Remote viewing

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have all of my cameras setup, configured and working on there dedicated computer now with dual NIC. I have been exploring how to obtain remote access and viewing. This would be both within and outside the house. Ending up rather overwhelmed and have tried opertier, ngrok, etc but undable to connect to BI computer. I am not a network guy so likely some setting is wrong. I also have looked a the BI remote wizard but that appears to required port forwarding that is not recommended by many.

Looking for simple around house so maybe HDMI extender or firestick. For out of house I would like to view on both iphone and laptop. No idea on where to start here.

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a netgear that has open vpn. Got kinda lost trying to get it to work and dropped pursuing if there was a more viable option. Tried remote desktop at home but that close app on BI computer. The idea was to monitor in several locations.

Do you use open vpn with success. I think it will also work with iphone. Assuming it doesn't need port forwarding. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many here use OpenVPN very successfully.

Do not port forward.

OpenVPN is simple, but we overthink it and make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

You will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then copy and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.