Remotely connect to two ip cameras using RTSP ONVIF

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a "Tapo C210" IP camera from TP-Link (which has no menu to set a ddns address inside)
To view it remotely with VLC I created a dynamic ddns service and inserted it into my router;
I also port forwarded the camera's IP address to ports 554 (RTSP) and 2020 (ONVIF)
By doing this I can see my camera again by opening a network stream in VLC with this string:
rtsp:/user : password@my_ddns:554/stream1 (spaces are for avoid smile)
If I now wanted to add another camera, how could I see it with the same method?
I can't create another DDNS because I can only put one in the router.
Since the ports to open are the same (554 and 2020), even if I created another rule for another local IP for the second camera, typing the string I wrote above into VLC, I believe a conflict would be created because the connection would not know whether to refer to camera 1 or 2. I don't know if I managed to explain myself.
Any suggestions?
P.s.: I actually use TinyCam Monitor to see the camera, but the concept is the same.
How can I connect two cameras with the RTSP - ONVIF protocol, given that they use the same ports?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Point the second camera's ports to different forwarded ports on your router and use the same ddns name/IP address. For example:
rtsp:/user : password@my_ddns:555/stream1

[Insert obligatory warning about directly forwarding ports to cams.]

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.

And in the router I believe you'll have Internal/LAN port as 554 and External/WAN port as 555 forwarded to that camera's IP; that way an incoming request to the WAN IP on port 555 will be forwarded to the camera's port 554.

EDIT 6/13 @ 2022 CDT: The above is necessary because AFAIK, the app has no place to change the RTSP port number. :confused:

Last edited:

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, in port forwarding:
Camera 1: IP 192.168.0.xx - Ext Port 550 - Int Port 554
Camera 2: IP 192.168.0.yy - Ext Port 560 - Int Port 554
It's right?
should I also do this with the 2020 port?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, in port forwarding:
Camera 1: IP 192.168.0.xx - Ext Port 550 - Int Port 554
Camera 2: IP 192.168.0.yy - Ext Port 560 - Int Port 554
It's right?
Yes, but use WAN IP or hostname, not cam's LAN IP.
should I also do this with the 2020 port?
Not sure why it's needed, I did not not forward it when I experimented in my post in your other thread, I only forwarded the RTSP port 554.

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, but use WAN IP or hostname, not cam's LAN IP.
Yes of course, I was referring to the LAN IP to be included in the port forwarding. Then to connect I would use DDNS
Not sure why it's needed, I did not not forward it when I experimented in my post in your other thread, I only forwarded the RTSP port 554.
It seems to me, from a test I did, that the 2020 port must also be forwarded (at least as regards the TinyCam app, in which the Camera Brand (ONVIF) must be entered) as can be seen in the attached image.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to me, from a test I did, that the 2020 port must also be forwarded (at least as regards the TinyCam app, in which the Camera Brand (ONVIF) must be entered) as can be seen in the attached image.
Possibly because I streamed to VLC on my Android phone, not to Tinycam.:cool: