Remotely restarting desktop

Fro

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m trying to find a secure way to remotely restart my BI desktop in case the need arises. Preferably I’d like to be able to do this from my phone or tablet (Android) rather than a computer, though that route would work too. I already have VPN setup to access the network if that helps at all. I’ve been doing some research and found some of the following options:

1- Using TeamViewer on the desktop and the TeamViewer App for Android

2- Use the Remote Desktop Protocol built into Windows Pro over VPN (I have Win 7 Pro so from what I’ve read, it could work?)

3- Use another program like Airytech Switch Off or Shutter (not free) and using it over VPN

I’m sure there are many more methods to achieve this, but are any of these more/less secure than others? I see TeamViewer mentioned here a lot in the forum search results so maybe that’s the way to go(?)

Note: I already have the desktop setup to launch both BI and the SunriseSunset utility at startup so for now I’m just looking for a way to restart the machine remotely. Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
- You probably have a BIOS setting to automatically power on after a power outage. Turn that on.
- Enable the watchdog setting in Blue Iris Tools: Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!
- Set up the remote access software of your choice, Team Viewer and Google Chrome Remote Desktop both work well.
- you can plug the computer into a wifi or zwave controlled outlet or rig up some other way of remotely pulling the plug and rebooting if you ever have to.

Fro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'll move forward and try out both TeamViewer and Google Chrome Remote Desktop.