Remove Cameras When Moving?

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 Dahua turrets installed under the soffit of my house and will be moving. I was thinking of removing them before listing my house and wanted to see if anyone has done this and has ideas on how to leave the aluminum soffit looking okay? I used toggle bolts and mounted the turrets right to the soffit. The cat5 is sticking out of a hole in the center. This leaves 3 bolt holes and one in the middle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
good point. I suppose it's possible to overdo it [ like my house, with 6+ cams visible from the front if you look hard enuf :) ]
But in this day of internet everything, i'd think being pre-set-up for something the new owner may want to do anyways would be a plus.
Of course, there's also the folks that say "Just use wi-fi for everything! We don't need no stinkin' wires!"...

I guess that's (one reason) I'm not a realtor... :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 6 Dahua turrets installed under the soffit of my house and will be moving. I was thinking of removing them before listing my house and wanted to see if anyone has done this and has ideas on how to leave the aluminum soffit looking okay? I used toggle bolts and mounted the turrets right to the soffit. The cat5 is sticking out of a hole in the center. This leaves 3 bolt holes and one in the middle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you did a nice clean looking install, I'd leave them. It's nice to document who's coming and going from a house for sale as well as know when they're gone and and can come home. If you went a little overboard and are worried about scaring a buyer off, you could remove some cameras.

Writing it up as something excluded from the sale or optionally included for a fee could be an option, but I don't think too many people would choose it.

If you remove them you could:
-Replace sections of the aluminum soffit
-Put outlet covers over the main holes and toggle bolts and washers tightened down in the others then paint to match
-Attempt to fill the holes with some type of bondo like filler or cover them with that super sticky aluminum duct tape and then paint.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @camguyutah

imho I think a lot depends on who is buying your home - if some random wall street investor or overseas investor, or some flipper ( zillow is now getting into the flipping biz I heard ) - then I would remove them.

If you did a nice install job, and a nice normal hardworking person / family is buying the home - I think they would greatly appreciate it.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I've sold two houses in the last couple of years, and both times I left the systems in place with the NVR. I went back to both houses after the sales and helped the new owners configure the systems to their phones etc.. We are hunting for a new place now and I can't wait to install the latest and greatest cameras. Just ordered two of the full color dahua bullets that came out in January to put up over our garage.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in this situation soon myself and figured that I am going to take down the new IPCT cameras and my 1 Starlight but keep the rest of them up. Once they step foot into my house they will know I have cameras because I'm a techie, not because of the neighborhood.