Reolink 5mp delay 5 second

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i know reolink isn´t the best for blue iris, my next cameras will be hivision or dahua, but i cant return reolink

when i used reolink in mainstream and multiview the delay is around 5-10 second

Can anyone who has 4-5mpx Hikvision or Dahua cameras tell me if they experience any delay when viewing in mainstream multiview?

i have other 3 cameras 2mpx in mainstream and no problem with it.

update:
i connect de poe direct to pc, and the same problem, when the camera is running about 3 hour a have a delay 5-10 second.

update2:
i remplaze reolink 5mp for dahua 4mp, the problem is solved

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IP cameras have an inherent delay which is why backup cameras are analog.

A lot depends on your system. If going thru a router it can add delay. Is the reolink using P2P and sending stream to their server first?

But I don't have any delays with my 8MP dahuas compared to the 2MP.

Tommy957

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 16 cameras from various vendors, including Dahuas and two POS Reolinks. All seem to have 1-2 second delay.

I do believe the delay depends on lots of options and the camera too.

You can do a test by, turning OFF (or just unplug) all your other camera's and just test your Reolink.

Good luck

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IP cameras have an inherent delay which is why backup cameras are analog.

A lot depends on your system. If going thru a router it can add delay. Is the reolink using P2P and sending stream to their server first?

But I don't have any delays with my 8MP dahuas compared to the 2MP.
The cameras go directly to the POE switch and then to the router, the bandwidth is good, 20MB max, and I have 100MB

The cable measures a maximum of 20 meters

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tengo 16 cámaras de varios proveedores, incluidos Dahuas y dos POS Reolinks. Todos parecen tener un retraso de 1 a 2 segundos.

Creo que el retraso depende de muchas opciones y también de la cámara.

Puede hacer una prueba apagando (o simplemente desconectando) todas las demás cámaras y simplemente probar su Reolink.

Buena suerte
[/CITA]
i only have delay in
I have 16 cameras from various vendors, including Dahuas and two POS Reolinks. All seem to have 1-2 second delay.

I do believe the delay depends on lots of options and the camera too.

You can do a test by, turning OFF (or just unplug) all your other camera's and just test your Reolink.

Good luck
reolink, i dont know
I only have delay in reolink, I don't know if it is because it has more megapixels or because of how the camera works, all my other cameras are 2mpx and the delay is at most 1 second

My Reolink camera is 5mp and I have a delay of 5-10 seconds, it is too much

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try lowering the resolution and see what happens.

In addition to the issues of allowing your cameras to touch the internet, cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi cameras or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more higher MP cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 350Mbps. Unlike other devices like streaming services, these cameras do not buffer, so this is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data passing through it probably isn't good either.

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ou can do a test by, turning OFF (or just unplug) all
Try lowering the resolution and see what happens.

In addition to the issues of allowing your cameras to touch the internet, cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi cameras or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more higher MP cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 350Mbps. Unlike other devices like streaming services, these cameras do not buffer, so this is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data passing through it probably isn't good either.
If you don't connect the cameras to the router, how do you connect them to the computer, because I have only one Ethernet input on the PC?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us add another ethernet card to the computer and all the cameras go to one ethernet port and the internet to the other port.

That way the cameras don't go thru the router and don't have access to the internet.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua NVR+Cams on HDMI = no delay

Dahua cams + any third party software = delay.

Never understand why.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Then get used to the delay, I guess.
Another NIC card doesn't cost that much, even in Spain, does it?
I'm going to test the delay connected directly to POE, I'll tell you later

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, but for this you need two ethernet input in pc.

I don't know if the performance gained is economic viable
It is a 20USD card. Well worth keeping the cameras off the internet as well as taking non-buffering video off your devices.

Like I said, these cameras do not buffer like a Netflix or any other thing you do with the internet - email, web browser, just about everything else sends a few packets, then something else demanding the internet sends a few packets, and repeat.

With these cameras, there is a constant demand causing issues. The cameras are continuously transmitting with no buffering and no breaks. So any lost packet causes a retry, which cause more traffic, which causes more lost packets. Eventually you see every device struggle.

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a 20USD card. Well worth keeping the cameras off the internet as well as taking non-buffering video off your devices.

Like I said, these cameras do not buffer like a Netflix or any other thing you do with the internet - email, web browser, just about everything else sends a few packets, then something else demanding the internet sends a few packets, and repeat.

With these cameras, there is a constant demand causing issues. The cameras are continuously transmitting with no buffering and no breaks. So any lost packet causes a retry, which cause more traffic, which causes more lost packets. Eventually you see every device struggle.
Ok, thanks for the information, tomorrow I will try using the cameras connected directly to the POE for a few hours, because the problems come to me when they have been running for hours.

thank you I appreciate you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the information, tomorrow I will try using the cameras connected directly to the POE for a few hours, because the problems come to me when they have been running for hours.

thank you I appreciate you
Yep, that is the classic sign of lost packets and resending and eventually causing noticeable issues. A reboot fixes it temporarily, but it will constantly drop packets, especially with other demands on the router.

reloar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
update:
i connect de poe direct to pc, and the same problem, when the camera is running about 3 hour a have a delay 5-10 second.

Denwad

n3wb
Reaction score
i have a reolink camera that was horribly laggy when I autoconfigured via BlueIris

you have to configure blueiris to use the RTMP stream and then it won't lag