ReoLink POE Switch - Any IP Cam User Reviews?

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Noticed that the 8 port ReoLink 120 watt POE switch runs about $63. The equivalent 8 port NetGear POE switch is $110.

Most here indicate that overall ReoLink products are not a consideration for purchase except for the video doorbell.

In reviewing IP Cam comments, there are a few no buy suggestions but without qualifications. Looking for first hand user experience so that I can make a purchasing yes or no decision.

The switch will be used to power Dahua cameras in a non critical application. Have been adding switches in place of more cabling. The new switch will feed an existing 24 port POE switch to allow for more cameras using a single cable back to the main 24 port switch.

Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember it's NOT gigabit switch 100Mbps for each port with only 1,000Mbps LAN uplink ports, don't plug a WiFi Access Point into it, or a PC, just PoE security cameras.

Reolink is a good starting point for an Individual to start their PoE security cameras system. You can get it up and running for under $500, then get a better NVR, Blue Iris, or a NAS recording software. Then replace some of the cameras for better quality and features.

Remember DORI layers of protection. Reolink is great for Detection and sending notifications an event is occuring out at the far perimeter of your property. They would also b good for Observation to see what exactly is the party(plan from the vehicle or individual: leaving or trespassing? Reolink has some cameras that are perfectly accessibility for Recognition of an individual you already know on your property. Not every corner of the home(property needs the best fancy camera. I still have an old 5MP Reolink camera that covers the side of the house where the utilities are at. Nobody should be over there, anyone would be suspicious, I don't need a fancy camera to alert me there is a person on the utility side of the house (no windows, just my utilities mounted to the wall and the AC unit, along with my neighbors utilities and AC Unit. That 5 year old without smart Detection camera is good enough for Identification to alert me there is valid threat along the house. Or I can watch crewmen install the new fiber optic line service to the house. Not everything needs to be fancy, Reolink does fine for the price.

Last edited:

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Appreciate the information.

Yes, the ReoLink is 10/100 on the 8 POE ports but 10/100/1000 on the 2 uplink ports. Comparing the NetGear to the ReoLink is almost like apples and pears.

For my use, 10/100 is all that is needed for each POE port. The Dahua cameras usually use about 10 megs each for bandwidth. In MS task manager, for my current night time use, the receive bandwidth is 266 megs and 4.8 megs send.

The nice part of the ReoLink switch is that there are uplinks ports which do not take away camera POE ports. Now using the 5 port POE NetGear unit and one can only run 4 cameras plus one port has to be used for uplink purposes.

My main concern is the overall lifetime of the unit and build quality. It is basically half the price, but will less cost still equate to a good product?