Reolink RLC-810A doesn't work with BI?

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like so many others here, I have been struggling to hook up a Reolink camera to Blue Iris. I just bought a Reolink RLC-810A, which has a specified resolution of up to 3840x2160. After having spent many hours trying to get it to work, I give my findings here, hoping that it may save someone else time, and/or hoping for someone to give a better solution.

If I set the Reolink cam to the specified max resolution, it says that it is not possible with RTMP or RTSP, which is exactly what we need for BI. Crazy, isn’t it? If you then change the resolution in a web browser connected to the camera to a lower value, for instance 2560x1440, then it simply crops the sensor image and throws away the outer pixels! The camera is effectively doing a digital zoom. That may really not be what you want because you get a small image field.
Then, In the browser you can instead inspect the feed using a “balanced” mode, which they state is somewhere between low and high resolution. However, judging from its resolution, it seems to be a simple downsampling of the sensor by a factor of four plus a little fiddling. You then get the resolution 896x512 and the full image field. That field is what you want, but the resolution is too small for practical use. Also, they do not tell how to get the “balanced” stream to Blue Iris, but after some googling, I found out that in Blue Iris you need to choose Reolink as camera and then RTMP as protocol. Next, you set the main stream to “/bcs/channel0_ext.bcs?channel=0&stream=3&user={id}&password={pw}”. But then the resolution of course is too small for a real system.

Conclusion: I can’t see how Blue Iris can get the full image field from the Reolink RLC-810A that I just bought. Any suggestions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggestions?
That Reolink is 8MP with only a 1/2.49" sensor, which is terribly small to have decent low light / night time performance, especially if there's ANY motion. An 8MP camera should have at the very least a 1/1.8" sensor, and ideally a 1/1.2", as shown in the chart at the bottom. If at all possible, return the camera and consider a Loryta or EmpireTech 4MP and 1/1.8" sensor turret cam with built-in microphone from @EMPIRETECANDY such as this one:

EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-AS 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera Built-In MIC

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to hijack this topic but i do have a small question regarding BI and reolink. I have a 823A ptz camera that i bought some time ago and yes i know they are not that great but dahua and hikvision do not offer what i want/need. What's annoying me is that in BI the reolink stream after some time goes out of sync and drops behind a solid 15 seconds. Rebooting the reolink doesn't really solve the issue, rebooting BI does. Is there a setting in BI that i can fiddle with ? Or any idea what could possibly create this issue ?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could try upping the Receive Buffer to 40MB.

But it is just one of many issues of BI with Reolink - Reolink wants to act like they play with everything, but the reality is they work best in their own environment with a reolink NVR.

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try upping the Receive Buffer to 40MB.

But it is just one of many issues of BI with Reolink - Reolink wants to act like they play with everything, but the reality is they work best in their own environment with a reolink NVR.
Thank you, i will give that a try.