Reolink RLC-820A won’t connect on one PoE Ethernet

cambodia24

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 4 outdoor reolink cameras on my house (connected with blue iris, which doesn’t matter for my question). I finally got around to installing my last camera and it won’t connect using the reolink app (or BI). Troubleshooting so far is:
1. The camera works great if it use a different Ethernet cable by my router
2. The Ethernet line I’m trying to use tests out as wired correctly using my simple Klein tester
3. The camera has power as evidenced by hearing the IR lights turn on and off and I can see them on at night
4. I put a Poe+ injector on the line in case it wasn’t getting enough power
5. I also added 12v power to it

the only thing left I can think of is the Ethernet cable (cat5e) is compromised somehow even though it checks out as good on the wiring
And lastly, the camera did connect for a second because in blue iris it shows a screenshot when I was messing with it.
Any ideas?? I’m stumped

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. The camera works great if it use a different Ethernet cable by my router
If it's powered at that point by 12VDC I'd suspect either a problem with your POE switch when it tries to power 4 cams
or
a bad cable/connection. Any appearances of corrosion on any male and female RJ-45 in the circuit?

Do you have ANOTHER Ethernet cable you can try?

cambodia24

n3wb
Reaction score
If it's powered at that point by 12VDC I'd suspect either a problem with your POE switch when it tries to power 4 cams
or
a bad cable/connection. Any appearances of corrosion on any male and female RJ-45 in the circuit?

Do you have ANOTHER Ethernet cable you can try?
Cables are all new(new house) I even put new ends on the cable just in case. Yeah when I plug the camera using another cable it works great.

cambodia24

n3wb
Reaction score
You terminated both ends of cable to T-568B spec, right?
Yeah, that’s what’s so confusing, my Klein tester says it’s good. I’ve terminated 50+ ends throughout my house . Is it possible the tester says it’s good but there is still something wrong with it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have had MANY people here after running cable and the tester shows it is fine but doesn't work.

The consumer grade testers only test continuity. Unless you are using a true Fluke tester (that costs thousands of dollars LOL), the cheap testers simply measure continuity but not be sufficient for POE loading. Especially if it is CCA wiring.

Personally I don't put much stock in the cheapo testers LOL. I have had them pass and I plug the camera in and it doesn't work.

So now I simply plug the camera in and if I don't hear the IR filter click within 10-15 seconds, I know it isn't right LOL.

cambodia24

n3wb
Reaction score
We have had MANY people here after running cable and the tester shows it is fine but doesn't work.

The consumer grade testers only test continuity. Unless you are using a true Fluke tester (that costs thousands of dollars LOL), the cheap testers simply measure continuity but not be sufficient for POE loading. Especially if it is CCA wiring.

Personally I don't put much stock in the cheapo testers LOL. I have had them pass and I plug the camera in and it doesn't work.

So now I simply plug the camera in and if I don't hear the IR filter click within 10-15 seconds, I know it isn't right LOL.
That’s good to know, thanks for the replies

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you could put another ( known good) camera on the line to confirm its the line....
I have a similar issue....camera ran good for about 2 months, even after some roofers came out and reroofed the house, and then it rained an entire weekend.....But then I saw them....Gophers and Squirrels giving me that look as if to say...." hahaha wait till he finds out where we chewed the Line thru...." dirty Bastards! Dammit all" They knew Winter was coming....and this is thier cruel joke....trying to terminate cat5 with frozen fingers....I'm gonna have to pull another line of direct burial before the Snow stays on the Ground for 6 months...I may just leave it right along the house as a temporary....DAMN YOU VArmint Cong!!!!
1699432342421.png
1699432675479.png

Last edited:

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what’s so confusing, my Klein tester says it’s good. I’ve terminated 50+ ends throughout my house . Is it possible the tester says it’s good but there is still something wrong with it?
Yes, an extreme kink or twist in the cable or a high impedance in a connection can wreak havoc but show OK with a cheap tester.
I've been using a cheap tester successfully for years but also realize its limitations...it'll reveal an complete open or a cross but not so much on kinks or "quality". It takes a lot less current to illuminate an LED than it does an IP camera, too.

I trust it when it shows something wrong but realize it could be mistaken when it tests good. :cool: