Replace PIR Sensor with Camera

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a couple of compressed air deterrents to keep our cats out of a room. I picked up two of these:

PetSafe SSSCat

The PIR sensors do not seem sensitive enough to catch my black Cat... He's too fast and has learned to hurriedly jump passed the cans...when he isn't so in-tuned with the setup, the sensors catch him, and it's an effective deterrent. It works by the PIR sensor completing the circuit when it sees the motion (temp change across sensor regions, etc.).

I need something more sensitive. I'd prefer to have this trigger from either BlueIris motion detection, or directly from a camera using the output Pins. I have not used output pins before. Is there an easy way to replace the leads on a PIR sensor by using an IP camera to complete the circuit? Or will I need a micro controller, having the micro controller compete the circuit while listening or looking for output from the camera?

This will be my first electronics project aside form making an LED blink or a minor sodder repair...go easy on me ;)

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First you need to tear it apart and figure out the trigger for PIR to actuator. It could be a simple solenoid valve. Find the voltage and current required to actuate it.

Cameras have alarm outputs that could work. Depending on the current it can drive, it might be signal only, in which case, you need a relay or transistor.

Maybe use a beam sensor instead of camera.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you email me an example of a beam sensor? I've seen a few things, but they only have a distance of about 12"...I need to cover 4 feet.

The black cat has learned he is faster than the PIR sensor...so I likely need to set up a little proactively and activate before he crosses into the danger zone.