Replaced 1080p TV with gaming monitor.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BIG difference.

I started with an inexpensive, 17" ELEMENT TV ....quickly switched to a 23" VIZIO TV, that was actually pretty nice. I believe I may have asked for an opinion whether the jump to monitor would provide any gain...

A local fellow was upgrading his gaming system so I bought his 27" ACER; model: G276HL. It is full HD at 1920 x 1080. He talked about the refresh rate, but I only cared about the image. It's is a pretty remarkable improvement over the other two screens.

I did not take a daytime shot of the VIZIO ...but I did at night to show some spider webs. I will take a pic of this at night to compare—a preview; it is twice a bright with a lot more clarity.

Jim

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a morning shot. The camera is just sitting on my tractor shed's roof. Its proper spot is under the owl box on the tree in the upper right. (I am dealing with—newbie does his own—cable issues...)

Jim

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's hard to beat the clarity of a good monitor that's designed to display text crisply from a distance of two feet all day. I've got a 2560x1440 27" at home that's just perfect for 4mp cams, although most are low-light 2mp stuff. I barely bother trying to judge the picture quality from posts on here from my phone- a big sharp screen is where it's at.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very nice. Is that screen dedicated to security cam footage/viewing or multiple purpose? I see the mouse to the right. How far away is the NVR/PC?

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, guys... A kid selling on Craigslist for $120—I could not pass it up.

R-M, It's dedicated. The NVR is right behind it. I'll probably move it into the pantry thru the wall—it has a noisy fan. "I am not a fan of noise." I am way back in the woods on the marsh. No Claymores, but have both metallic and IR alarms for audio alerts. This is simply a new window for the house. Simple pleasures. Cheers.

Jim

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Once you get used to seeing what's outside all around you when you're inside you'll never want to go back. My last house had the windows purposely installed a bit higher than normal for "privacy". Drove me nuts when the kids were outside playing until I put in the cameras with a central monitor.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just asked wife - where in the house would she want a central monitor dedicated to tiled camera views. She pointed to a spot in our kitchen about 5 feet up on the wall right next to the microwave. Pantry space is directly behind that wall. Network closet is 15-20 feet away from that wall location. Good options for equipment location. I'll need to look into monitors eventually. I can imagine her getting very accustomed to checking the monitor from the comfort of the kitchen to see if I've pulled into the garage, what the dogs are barking at, endless non-security related stuff.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly- hearing a noise at night and instantly (or almost instantly) being able to see what's going on outside is great. Someone trespassing? See them instantly. Kids doing something they shouldn't? You're on it. Surprise company coming? 30 second headstart.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Kawboy.... Remember those 'modern' houses in the 50's where they placed not-tall windows near the top of the wall? It was like basement windows on the first floor?! ..or when I moved to Detroit in the late 70's ...lots of houses looked like little prisons with all the bars on windows and doors! It makes me reluctant to consider retirement in CR, Panama or the DR. Who wants to be on total alert 24/7?!

Maybe the future home is a two-story bomb shelter with 4K, digital 'windows'.

Jim

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
My last house was built in the early 60s for folks that grew up in the country and didn't want what passed for city traffic in those days to look in. All you could see looking out were trees and clouds unless you stood close and peered down, and I'm 6'. I like being able to see out when I want to. Privacy is what good blinds were made for.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a nice, clean wall-mounted monitor dedicated to security cam viewing? Love to see a pic - to see how they integrated into their home.

Reactions: RJF

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pic! Appears there are 8 separate video feeds. 7 tiled plus 1 large. Can control/change which view is large while you are standing there in front of that tv or do you need to go back to the BI PC (or from your mobile device) to change the views? Thanks!

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting that you considered a touchscreen monitor... did you do the research on models and have one in mind before you decided against it? Did you already have a BI solution to deal with the touchscreen functionality of the TV? I've done various "touchscreen" searches on this site but didn't find anything. Thanks!

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if something like an Acer T232HL would do the trick...