Replaced NVR with new NVR and Cameras say "Failed to find Network Host"

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was running a Dahua NVR5216 but due to its limited bandwidth, I upgraded to a NVR608H-32-XI using a Dahua switch PFS4226-24ET-240 plugged into the NVR RJ45 port and an ePoE switch (EmpireTech 10-Port Unmanaged Switch with 8-Port ePoE) plugged into the second RJ45 port of the PFS4226-24ET-240 switch. The NVR found them and it said "Live" so I moved them down to the "Added Device" and I now get a "Failed to find Network Host" and a red dot on the Status column of all the cameras on both switches. I have rebooted the NVR, switches but no joy. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

NVR608H-32-XI (Network Ports: 2 (10/100/1000/2500 Mbps Ethernet port, RJ-45))
PFS4226-24ET-240 (Port 25-26: 2 × RJ-45 10 M/100 M/1000 M) and (Uplink Port 25-26: 2 × SFP 1000 M uplink combo)
EmpireTech 10-Port Unmanaged Switch with 8-Port ePoE (Port 9: 1 × RJ-45 10/100/1000 Mbps; Port 10: 1 × SFP 1000 Mbps)

For Equipment reference links:
NVR608H-32-XI
PFS4226-24ET-240
10-Port ePoE Switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Failed to find the Network Host"
Means the NVR is told the cameras IP address, but it cannot find a camera on that IP address.

Possible causes:
  • Camera IP address is in the wrong subnet to the NVR, e.g cameras are on 10.1.1.x and the NVR is on 192.168.1.x.
  • The switch is blocking traffic of the camera sending video, but allows the discovery traffic when the NVR was scanning the network.
  • The NVR is using the wrong password to login to the camera, and now the camera is refusing to let the NVR connect after multiple incorrect login attempts.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mark:

Thank you for your reply and help. You are correct "Camera IP address is in the wrong subnet to the NVR, e.g cameras are on 10.1.1.x and the NVR is on 192.168.1.x.". The old NVR had the cameras directly connected to the NVR and changed the cameras to 10.1.1.X and the new NVR has the cameras going to a switch before connecting to the NVR. So, is there an easy way to convert all the cameras back to a 192.168.1.x IP address so the NVR will see them? Thanks again.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mark:

Thank you for your reply and help. You are correct "Camera IP address is in the wrong subnet to the NVR, e.g cameras are on 10.1.1.x and the NVR is on 192.168.1.x.". The old NVR had the cameras directly connected to the NVR and changed the cameras to 10.1.1.X and the new NVR has the cameras going to a switch before connecting to the NVR. So, is there an easy way to convert all the cameras back to a 192.168.1.x IP address so the NVR will see them? Thanks again.
The Config tool from Dahua can help to batch set all the IP addresses.
Config tool is avaliable from Dahua Security:
1695347092910.png

When you have devices added, you can select all and press 'Batch modify IP"

1695347177301.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can just do a Device search under the " camera" tab in the NVR( might be different terminology to do the same thing in your new NVR) and it will populate all the IP cams it finds, but they could possibly be sitting at 192.168.1.108 or a DHCP assigned IP from the network router.
You will want to go into the cam Gui and make them static at whatever address scheme your are using.
If the cams previously plugged directly to NVR were new uninitialized cams, and you havent changed them....then they are on DHCP defaults for Ip addressing. So the device search could reveal them.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Mark M and Flintstone61 for your responses and great suggestions. I was able to get 12 out of 15 cameras batched IP change using the Config Tool. I'm going to connect the old NVR to the 3 that don't show up to see what's up with them and get their IP addresses so I can manually import them. I do have a question about the (2) RJ45 ports on the NVR. I tried connecting the Dahua Switch directly to the NVR along with the second NVR RJ45 connected to a Cisco switch going to the router but the NVR did not see the Dahua switch. I was hoping to connect the Dahua switch directly to the NVR so as not to slow the Cisco switch that handles the flow of the internet to the computers, TVs, etc. Is it possible to connect the NVR and the Dahua PoE switch directly and if so how? Thanks again.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think if you make a network with 2 switches and 1 NVR....there is no device to hand out IP addresses.....( like a router)
so maybe those three need a DHCP server from a router to be seen, or yes. like you said....Get old nVR going and make 3 new Static IP addresses in the range of the other cams.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply Flintstone61. Using the old NVR I was able to get one of the 3 cameras to go back to factory default since none of the 3 cameras allowed me to modify their IP address. The second camera went to factory default but kept its NVR-assigned IP address 10.1.1.x and I have no way to change it. IPConfig tool doesn't see it and it's on a switch, any suggestions? The third camera is a PTZ and would not give a blue e to connect to, not sure why, may have to get the ladder and do a factory reset at the camera, not sure how, any idea?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Physical factory reset would be my suggestion... they should default to 192.168.1.108. Just do one at a time and assign them new IPs