Replacement camera for front gate

classna

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a hikvision ds-2cd2020f-I installed on my front gate. It wasn't the best camera but it did the job ok. Due to heavy rain recently, the POE stopped working. When I power it with a 12V it is detected but direct POE connection doesn't work which means the POE board likely fried. I am now looking to buy another camera (in the same price range) that supports onboard storage (preferably a turret to avoid IR reflection). Any suggestions? I am based outside US so I can only buy on eBay ( ok with non upgradable firmware)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if it's worth the time to troubleshoot this, but sometimes in situations as you describe, it's the pin in the ethernet jack for PoE that gets fried. If you can see a burnt looking pin(s) on the camera end of where the network cable plugs in, some folks have had luck cutting off that end of the cameras ethernet cable and punching down their own. This assumes there's a pin layout for Hikvision floating around somewhere.

classna

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the price range?
I bought 2cd2020f-i for around $60.
I don't know if it's worth the time to troubleshoot this, but sometimes in situations as you describe, it's the pin in the ethernet jack for PoE that gets fried. If you can see a burnt looking pin(s) on the camera end of where the network cable plugs in, some folks have had luck cutting off that end of the cameras ethernet cable and punching down their own. This assumes there's a pin layout for Hikvision floating around somewhere.
I already tried that. The connector works fine if you supply an external 12v power. The POE board is toasted.