Replacement for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z ?

Reaction score
FWIW it looks like there are two newer varifocal turrets that do a little better at night than the 5231.

Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
So, the videos attached to the reviews make the T2231T look much better than either of the other two. In the T3421 review Looney's face is completely washed out. Is that because of the camera or some variable in the review method?

I think I'm ok with the decision to get 5231, it looks like it has the widest FOV which is really what I'm after. If the fixed lens was wider with comparable IR I'd go for that.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It may be an issue with Smart IR, an issue which is present on many of the new models and have yet to be rectified in newer firmwares.

The 2231 is a tad better in low light but that is in reference to the image in color mode (not when IR is on in black and white).

I would take numbers by a grain of salt as it will vary from setting to setting and how the camera is positioned.

Frankly, the 5231 is still the better model for the time being as far as varifocal turrets are concerned, because much of the issues present on the newer models are absent on the 5231 legacy model. :)

You should also ask to see if he has any used-5231 stock, the price is greatly reduced and can benefit you if you're seeking to purchase more than one unit.

So, the videos attached to the reviews make the T2231T look much better than either of the other two. In the T3421 review Looney's face is completely washed out. Is that because of the camera or some variable in the review method?

I think I'm ok with the decision to get 5231, it looks like it has the widest FOV which is really what I'm after. If the fixed lens was wider with comparable IR I'd go for that.

Reaction score
I hadn’t considered used as a possibility, that’s a good idea. I am just getting the one for now as I already have 4, one of which is a bullet I plan on repurposing for LPR.

Porch pirates are smart enough to cover their faces but they still drive. Not that I think anything would come of it, but I want to play with the LPR tech.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm, If you don’t need a varifocal and are looking for the widest FOV, the newer 5442 turret mentioned earlier uses the bigger 4MP 1/1.8” image sensor and has an FOV of 112’ (2.8mm) vs the 5231’s 101’ FOV.

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
anxiously awaiting my second 5231r-ze, should be here soon,
I now replaced 2 lame (4k and a 2mp.) amcrests, and now have 2, 5442's incl. the z4e and 2, 5231r-ze., 2- ir. emitters. , poe plus switch, 4tb purple h.d., 2nd nic. Blue Iris, next up, an edgerouter ;)

Is there something wrong with me?
This all started as 1 gifted camera at xmas time. My wife thinks I bought these to spy on her. (I just think its rather fun and doesn't hurt to have some security.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, nothing wrong at all...you're just getting started ;) Wait for one year, you might just be onto the beginning of a new addiction :p :lol:
Camera technology is picking up pace. :D

anxiously awaiting my second 5231r-ze, should be here soon,
I now replaced 2 lame (4k and a 2mp.) amcrests, and now have 2, 5442's incl. the z4e and 2, 5231r-ze., 2- ir. emitters. , poe plus switch, 4tb purple h.d., 2nd nic. Blue Iris, next up, an edgerouter ;)

Is there something wrong with me?
This all started as 1 gifted camera at xmas time. My wife thinks I bought these to spy on her. (I just think its rather fun and doesn't hurt to have some security.