Replacing a 30 5MP Cisco cam system with Blue Iris?

Mr GP

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several clients where we use Blue Iris with between 4 and 20 cameras. I have a client that currently uses a combination of 30 Cisco CIVS-IPC-7530PD and CIVS-IPC-7030 5MP cameras. They have a Cisco Video Surveillance Manager server, it's a linux installation and it is needlessly complicated, plus we are lacking root passwords and it only stores video for 7 days.

I am considering switching to Blue Iris for this client, but want to make sure I won't be losing functionality and that our server can handle the number of cams. Normally I install $50-$300 IP cams but when I looked up these cisco cams they were over $2000MSRP each so I feel like they are a little out of my comfort zone.

The hardware will be a Dell server I am re-purposing. It has a Xeon 6 core 12 thread CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD for primary drive and purple surveillance drives for storage in a RAID5 array with write cache.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several clients where we use Blue Iris with between 4 and 20 cameras. I have a client that currently uses a combination of 30 Cisco CIVS-IPC-7530PD and CIVS-IPC-7030 5MP cameras. They have a Cisco Video Surveillance Manager server, it's a linux installation and it is needlessly complicated, plus we are lacking root passwords and it only stores video for 7 days.

I am considering switching to Blue Iris for this client, but want to make sure I won't be losing functionality and that our server can handle the number of cams. Normally I install $50-$300 IP cams but when I looked up these cisco cams they were over $2000MSRP each so I feel like they are a little out of my comfort zone.

The hardware will be a Dell server I am re-purposing. It has a Xeon 6 core 12 thread CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD for primary drive and purple surveillance drives for storage in a RAID5 array with write cache.
you will have a hard time with 50 cams if they are set to 5mp...
if the customer paid that much per camera they are likely willing to spend some cash on an enterprise vms like Avigilon.

Mr GP

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it's 30 cams I apologize if I mis-stated. I also thought that 5MP is pretty heavy duty. I'll check out the Avigilon system I appreciate the feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's 30 cams I apologize if I mis-stated. I also thought that 5MP is pretty heavy duty. I'll check out the Avigilon system I appreciate the feedback.
Sorry i misread it..30x5mp is still alot...