Replacing my Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS 2.8mm Fixed Lens IR Mini Dome Cam

Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS 2.8mm Fixed Lens IR Mini Dome Cam.

2 months ago the IR-Cut Filter failed (I already checked the voltage and that is fine). Amazon replaced the camera but after 2 months the IR-Cut Filter on the replacement has also failed.

I use it to keep an eye on my increasingly mischievous twins so night vision is a must and I like the appearance of Dome cameras.

Anyhow, I wanted to ask if anybody can suggest a decent replacement?

My ideal requirements:
  1. 2.8mm lens - I don't want to move my lens to see stuff.
  2. Night vision.
  3. PoE - so obviously a wired setup.
  4. Accessible through a standard browser ideally without plugins... Hikvision has let their plugins fall behind technology despite repeated warnings from Mozilla in the last year and Google 2 years ago so their browser based views can no longer show video.
  5. Able to record on movement detection.
  6. Able to set privacy zones so that the wall fans gyrating won't cause continuous recording.
You all seem to know what you are doing so I thought I would ask here.

pall64

n3wb
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS 2.8mm Fixed Lens IR Mini Dome Cam.

2 months ago the IR-Cut Filter failed (I already checked the voltage and that is fine). Amazon replaced the camera but after 2 months the IR-Cut Filter on the replacement has also failed.

I use it to keep an eye on my increasingly mischievous twins so night vision is a must and I like the appearance of Dome cameras.

Anyhow, I wanted to ask if anybody can suggest a decent replacement?

My ideal requirements:
  1. 2.8mm lens - I don't want to move my lens to see stuff.
  2. Night vision.
  3. PoE - so obviously a wired setup.
  4. Accessible through a standard browser ideally without plugins... Hikvision has let their plugins fall behind technology despite repeated warnings from Mozilla in the last year and Google 2 years ago so their browser based views can no longer show video.
  5. Able to record on movement detection.
  6. Able to set privacy zones so that the wall fans gyrating won't cause continuous recording.
You all seem to know what you are doing so I thought I would ask here.
Iam buying this two for similar reasons. Very low illumination 0.009Lux and wide 2.8mm H-110°, V-58°
Aliexpress.com : Buy New arrival 2MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Network camera IPC HDBW4231F AS,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua Built in Mic 2mp Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera NO LGO IPC HDW4231EM AS,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Reaction score
I hear that Dahua's browser software needed a plugin so that no longer works in Firefox... not the end of the world but defo an irritation.

pall64

n3wb
Reaction score
I hear that Dahua's browser software needed a plugin so that no longer works in Firefox... not the end of the world but defo an irritation.
I use gDMSS Lite for my phone, works very well. For my computer I will use Smart PSS to connect to NVR and cameras that are not connect to poe port on NVR.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua have a chrome app
Also you can get hikvision and dahua cameras working on Mozilla, just need to apply the fix to enable NPAPI plugins

Reaction score
Dahua have a chrome app
Also you can get hikvision and dahua cameras working on Mozilla, just need to apply the fix to enable NPAPI plugins
Actually, we will be removing the NPAPI plugin fix soon so that is a very temporary workaround (it exposes your browser to lots of exploits).

The Chrome app should work in Firefox from v.52 onwards... when I get the Camera I will tweak it and post a link to the Firefox version of the plugin here.