Reptile Camera

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I am hoping for some advice on a camera to watch our red-eyed tree frogs at night when they are the most active. I went with the Wyze PTZ cameras and it works....ok. The biggest issue I have is that you can't rotate the image 90 degrees so it is difficult to get the correct view of the whole tank with either camera. Is anyone aware of a camera that would meet these requirements? Thanks in advance!!!!!

• work well in a low-light/no-light environment, Ability to see with no IR light is huge as it is close to the glass. The light fixture on top provides VERY low-light at night to simulate moonlight.
  • natively works with Blue Iris (image rotation is key)
  • is small enough to mount similar to the camera on the left of the terrariumm.
  • poe is a plus, but not required
  • Mounting suggestions welcome! It is difficult to cover the whole of the terrarium without putting a camera on front which gets in the way of the door. However, the door has the clearest view due to the misting system spraying away from it. I considered mounting a full blown security camera on the inside ceiling of the terrarium, but decided that was a bit overkill :cool:

RETF.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you rotate it in BI? Camera Settings > Video > Rotate.

I tried a variety of different things with my aquariums (including the Wyze V3 which you can bring into BI). Problem that you have in most cases is that the best view is from the front and the cam is too intrusive in person/practically. Eventually I just got tired of it being there. Maybe better with frogs. Don't have the water to look through from the sides at least.

Reaction score
Thanks. The new Wyze cameras don't have the firmware to bring it into BI or enable RTSP and they have no plans of fixing that.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I specified the V3. Not sure if the Wyze bridge will work with the new ones but even if so that's still kind of a clunky way to do it.

Some of the little TP-Link Tapo cams can work in BI. See here:

Dahua and Hikvision have the small cube cams but more expensive.

One of the better ways that I did for one of mine was a little Amcrest PTZ cam zoomed in from a shelf next to it. But you can't do that unless the room is set up right.

Reaction score
Yeah, I am sort of over Wyze.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I am going to look into the Hikvision cube cam as that is the brand I primarily use. I did not think of mounting one across the room with a lens that could easily see the front of the enclosure.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.