Repurposing Computer to Blue Iris: SATA vs SAS?

kc8hnz

n3wb
Reaction score
As all the new PC hardware finally (kinda) becomes available, I'm upgrading my primary daily use PC to an AMD build, so that leaves my old hardware available to use to upgrade my even older BlueIris server.
The specs of my existing server are i7 4790 with only 8GB of ram so upgrading to an i7 6700k with 32GB of ram should be a huge improvement. But problem is, the old server's hard drive is approaching a decade of use and is only 2TB of space, where as my current computer had only a 1TB SSD, so a hard drive replacement is unavoidable.

So, would Blue Iris see any advantage using an enterprise SAS drive vs a regular stock SATA drive in the 10TB range? I have a spare 12GB SAS controller from an UnRaid build I can slap in the box , and have had amazing success with lightly used enterprise SAS disks (I know usually used hard drives are not recommended, but with most enterprise units upgrading to all solid state storage, the market is flush with drives that have only months of use), so that's the path I'm considering. Any advantages/disadvantages? Thanks for any input!

Jason

Reaction score
I’d be surprised if it mattered at all. Enterprise drives tend to be on the significantly more durable side (and more costly so not common here), and I know that although buying “video surveillance” drives has been recommended here, so has shucking a WD Easystore to get a white-label drive for cheap storage. Blue Iris won’t care at all.

My question is, does your system have a connector for SAS, or do you have an add-in PCIE card that would allow you to connect the SAS drive? Never worked with them myself but always assumed they have a different interface.

Last edited:

kc8hnz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a SAS controller card left over from a previous UnRaid build, that's what sparked the idea in the first place. I am using 15x10TB HGST SAS disks in my UnRAID server and thought I would need two cards to run the disk shelf, but I was able to use just one card, so the second card is surplus and I figured I might as well get some use out of it.

Jason