Request for guidance which best bang for buck camera to buy. Requirements in body

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using blue iris 3 (will upgrade if necessary) with 3 existing cams with 1TB harddrive. So far 17% CPU usage only.

I need to add a couple more (around 6-7 cam I estimate). All POE.

Requirement 1:
Outside to watch backdoor/electric-box. I suspect my electric box is being tampered with at night causing our bill to skyrocket. A fusebox is literally open with the cover missing. Since I sleep 100m away from my backdoor (it's a big place, like a warehouse) I want to place a camera there, and a camera to the camera just in case it is tampered with. with DORI, an identification within 2 meters (I'll place the camera close by but up high). A 180 degree coverage if possible ( idon't mind 2 camera setup).

Requirement 2:
Indoor warehouse. I hear sounds at night and want to see what it is. The area is 20m by 30m. Do I need a PTZ with Varifocal for this on each floor? Or will a super high MP night vision cam will do? I have 3 floors I need to watch.

Requirement 3:
There's an open space in this warehouse 3 floors high, I'd like to place a camera I can move and zoom as I need to look at specific things. If possible also to trigger it by having the other cameras as a spotter of sorts (I'll do the programming necessary for this)

Requirement 4:
Far from my house is a box where my fiber connects to. Someone/something is disconnecting my line at 1AM and I wanna see who it is. I'm thinking an outdoor cam with varifocal lens that auto zooms in on motion detect also adjust focus on zoom to see who or what it is ( I know blueiris can do it).

My budget will be around 1000 USD (Converted including shipping). Minus the cost of a 8 port POE switch maybe 800USD max.

I live in a third world country hence the absurd requirements and situations...

I have an email thread with Andy from EmpireTech but I don't want to just bombard someone with absurd requirements before buying. Any assistance or tips or direction is deeply appreciated.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You have already been told about the Wiki, it is full of good info.
The upgrade from BI 3. to BI 5.0 would be the first step for me. You will love the difference!
Motion detection is worlds better and remote access with UI3 is great for checking in the middle of the night from anywhere.
Andy will do you right with cameras, it just takes a little patience to receive them. Well worth it.
I will let others chime in for camera suggestions, I would say Dahua would be the best/cheapest in the long run.
Check out the 5442 series for great low light.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The upgrade from BI 3. to BI 5.0 would be the first step for me. You will love the difference!
Motion detection is worlds better and remote access with UI3 is great for checking in the middle of the night from anywhere.
Andy will do you right with cameras, it just takes a little patience to receive them. Well worth it.
I will let others chime in for camera suggestions, I would say Dahua would be the best/cheapest in the long run.
This about covers it. If your existing cameras are similar vintage to BI3, you will be shocked at what the new Starlight cameras can do.

BlokehMan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks is the 5442 series out yet? If not what are the starlight series that's out there right now. Or is there a wiki for that? I saw the starlight lineup sticky but all links are down now

Reaction score
You could use a PTZ to cover the 20m x 30m area. Since it is indoors, I like the Dahua SD1A203T-GN. It is a 2MP on a 1/2.8" Starlight cam. The zoom is 3x optical with the varifocal lens as 2.7-8.1mm. Minimum illumination is 0.005Lux. While the IR distance is just 15m, if needed you could use some IR floods which are fairly cheep, or keep some lights on at night and stay in color. This cam was $165 each when I bought them from Andy over a year ago. I use them inside my home with BI.

Here is a review of the cam: