Request sent to Hikvison to supply GPL'd source code

uint32_t

n3wb
Reaction score
It's my first time posting here, have been reading these forms on and off lately after getting my hands on some Chinese Hikvison gear. I have worked a lot with customizing OpenWrt for our companies products.

I have sent a request to Hikvison requesting source code, with this it should be possible to compile firmware with the English language region. Their newer firmware seems to use encryption so changing the language version with programs like hiktools (also posted in thie forum) doesn't work.

A sample cam (2CD3325-I) I have is running U-Boot 2010.06-153460 (Oct 10 2015 - 18:21:59) with Kernel version Linux-3.4.35-g0, both of which are licensed under the GNU General Public Licence for free software.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.en.html
There also others included like BusyBox also GPL software.

The cam I have doesn't have a JTAG but does have a ttl at 3.3v which I used to gain somewhat limited access to the boot loader and linux console. I tried to tftp firmware from earlier versions but got a check error, it looks like uboot was upgraded to a newer version when hikvision started encrypting their firmware. I'm not sure of anyone on here who has an earlier uboot verison they could share, there is a uboot upgrade command available after doing Ctrl+u to interrupt the boot process which may be able to downgrade uboot hence allowing earlier firmware to be loaded.

It also seems Hikvision are using a subversion repository after issuing the command Hardinfo, if they can supply a copy of this then it will make life far more easier as far a language regions go.

I am hoping that Hikvision will comply with my request, if they do i'll post back here.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do hope you are successful. However, I suspect that the only thing Hikvision is interested in is the betterment and financial well-being of Hikvision and the very last thing they desire is for someone to modify their firmware systems; this is why Hikvision has Chinese Region and Western Region product lines and the various methods Hikvision has instituted to lock up their systems. In the past I've suggested that if Hikvision would open their systems to hobbyists, coders and geek wizards they would probably own the world-wide consumer camera market. That's not going to happen IMO. Hikvision's strategy appears to be to close and lock their systems rather then open and share them. But I wish you luck in any event brother! Please do let us know how you make out! :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol, your just wasting your time.. china is a culture of stealing others work, the government endorses it and promotes it...