Request Some Help With Highlight Motion/Test Run Video Through Motion Detector

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For some reason I can't see motion highlights when playing back recorded video (bvr format--direct to disc--10 second pre-trigger buffer) using the Test Run Video Through Motion Detector. For all but one camera that is. I've compared the settings of the one camera that does work with all the other cameras and I can't see any difference in settings. I've followed the rules in the help section and searched the forum:

Help section: "Another way to "see" what the software is detecting as motion is to open a recorded video in the viewer window, then right-click to select the Test run video through motion detector option. To use this feature, the video must meet these requirements:
  • The video must be BVR format.
    The camera which recorded the video should still exist
  • The video must begin with several seconds of video prior to the point of interest.
  • The video should not have been recorded with the highlight motion option enabled.
When you play the video it will pass through the motion detector using the settings for the camera which recorded it, with the addition of the highlighting feature to show motion and objects. In addition, portions of the frame which are masked out (not part of any zone) will be shaded."

What am I missing? Here are the settings for one camera not working:

11-18-2017 8-18-37 AM.png 11-18-2017 8-18-45 AM.png 11-18-2017 8-19-18 AM.png 11-18-2017 8-19-50 AM.png 11-18-2017 8-21-05 AM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah...I noticed this as well. Not sure what update it happened on.

Before running the video though the Test Run, go to that cameras motion sensor page and select highlight motion, save, and then try the Test Run.

I seem to recall that for what ever reason, this worked and motion was highlighted.

Afterwards I turned off the highlight motion for the camera.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah...I noticed this as well. Not sure what update it happened on.

Before running the video though the Test Run, go to that cameras motion sensor page and select highlight motion, save, and then try the Test Run.

I seem to recall that for what ever reason, this worked and motion was highlighted.

Afterwards I turned off the highlight motion for the camera.
Thanks Plug Nickel--I've already tried that to no avail.

Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned that it has worked for me, but then....I have had triggers lately that would not show motion highlighted as well no matter what I did.

I did notice that you have a very small min object size as well as a short make time though.

My camera that I have seen this on also has a very small min object size as compared to my other cameras that haven't shown this problem.

When a large (larger than the min object size) critter triggers the record, the Test Run seems to work as I recall, so...I believe that in my case it was the very small objects detected (min size) that were not being highlighted.

In your case do large triggers such as yourself in the frame work as far as highlighting in a test run?

Again, I'm not sure what update caused this along with another kind'a weird thing that being that when I play back a clip in BI from a motion detecting cam lately it starts off for the first second or so with a black screen and then the object detected shows up (surrounded by black) before the rest of the image appears.
Subsequent replays don't show this and it doesn't happen with the emailed MP4.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The one camera that does work has the smallest Min Object Size possible and the same short make time. I suspect it was an update like you said. It doesn't seem to matter the size of the object either...cars, humans, etc., still do not show the highlights during playback like they did a couple of updates ago. When highlight motion is selected in camera properties however, the live stream shows highlights....it's simply the test run that doesn't show the highlighted motion.

Reaction score
Though I've noticed the problem, I haven't had a lot of need to do test runs so there's a good chance that my memory of the details aren't quite right; ain't getting any younger.

Sounds like a Ken alert bug...

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Though I've noticed the problem, I haven't had a lot of need to do test runs so there's a good chance that my memory of the details aren't quite right; ain't getting any younger.

Sounds like a Ken alert bug...
Thanks Plug--email sent to Ken just a moment ago.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got this working by enabling (checking) "Also BVR" on the video tab in camera properties.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ken's response: "Yes thanks this does have to do with the 1080/1088 discrepancy in the height of video going through the Intel chip."