Required Upload Bandwidth?

abiteman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all! I've just setup a BI system in Montana where internet is scarce. I currently have about 0.5MB up and it seems to be struggling. I previously had a Zmodo system that seemed to handle the limited bandwidth better.

I've got the 4 cameras toned down to 720p and 15fps. limiting the bandwidth on each camera to 1500.

What would be the minimum upload I'd need to upgrade to, to get this working? Or what can I do to optimize the settings in order to help with the delay/lag?

As of right now, the timer on the cameras jumps 3-6 seconds at a time.

abiteman

n3wb
Reaction score
Before I and/or others can help, there's still some questions:
Using what method to view your cams are you having difficulty? By that I mean, are you viewing over a LTE cell phone using a app that views the 4 cams?
Are those 4 cams on your home's Wi-Fi?
Or are the cams tied to an NVR that's on your home's network and Wi-Fi?
I should've specified sorry.

I've got all of the cameras wired via Cat6 to a PoE switch. The BI desktop is hooked up to the same switch.
That switch is hooked up to my router via Cat6 which is, in turn, hooked up to the modem via Cat6.

I can view the cameras on the BI desktop or any other computer on the network just fine when viewing in either the BI UI or the cameras UI (although the cameras UI is smoother). The issue comes when logging into the web server somewhere else (in AZ with 30mbps down for example) or the app over LTE.
The cameras are hooked up directly to BI with no other NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I should've specified sorry.

I've got all of the cameras wired via Cat6 to a PoE switch. The BI desktop is hooked up to the same switch.
That switch is hooked up to my router via Cat6 which is, in turn, hooked up to the modem via Cat6.

I can view the cameras on the BI desktop or any other computer on the network just fine when viewing in either the BI UI or the cameras UI (although the cameras UI is smoother). The issue comes when logging into the web server somewhere else (in AZ with 30mbps down for example) or the app over LTE.
The cameras are hooked up directly to BI with no other NVR.
blue iris allows you to set 3 different encoder profiles for remote viewing...lower the bandwidth on the profile you are using for remote viewing..