Reset HIKVISION DS-7716NI-e4/16P

harleynt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hivision isnt responding in getting my admin password reset despite sending them the xml file
If i do a factory reset as i am able to logon to the NVR as i have the unlock pattern but no password
in order to set up lan/.wan access to nvr i require to logon using the admin password
doe the reset also reset the admin password
If it does what is the default password

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
doe the reset also reset the admin password
A factory reset puts the device into an 'Inactive' state where you need to 'Activate' it with a new password of your own choice.

If i do a factory reset as i am able to logon to the NVR as i have the unlock pattern but no password
If a reset is available through that route (I have a vague recollection it isn't, but I'm not sure) that will be the simplest method.
Presumably there are no 'Security Q&As' set up if you use the 'Forgot password' link in the web GUI?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just in case you aren't aware -
Assuming the cameras are connected to NVR PoE ports, they will most likely be using the NVR password if they were added using 'Plug & Play' and you didn't specify the camera-specific password to use for activation in the NVR camera admin pages.
This means that if you have forgotten the NVR admin password, if you factory-reset the NVR you will lose access to the cameras.
Maybe best to see what level of access the NVR unlock pattern access provides for the cameras before resetting the NVR.

What firmware version is on the cameras?
If it's 5.4.0 or earlier, the camera password (and therefore perhaps the NVR password) can be extracted through a security vulnerability.