Resolved - Logitech RTSP not working

Reaction score
My camera system has 7 Logitech cameras that we have been using for a few years, they have always worked well with BI. Recently however I had issues with 6 of the 7 cameras where they would constantly lose connection, not all of them would be on at once and as some disconnected others would connect.

I could not resolve this within BI and had new cameras on hand so I replaced the 6 cameras. A few days later the last camera has stopped working, it does not connect at all in BI. I am able to access its feed directly using VLC and the camera still works with the Logitech software.

This is the basic setup that has been working all along but does not seem to work now:

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I have emailed support at BI this past Monday but have had no response.

We did recently upgrade to BI5 and have been doing the updates that are released so perhaps something there broke this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your image did not post.

Did this issue begin only AFTER "upgrade" to BI5 ?

Are these cams wired or wireless?

jpapanas22

n3wb
Reaction score
This is very interesting - we have a 6 camera Logitech Alert camera system that we have been using for years as well. About a couple of weeks ago, we also had all cameras start losing connection, reconnecting for a bit, and losing connection again, over and over. This continued over a period of about 4 or 5 days. Switching routers during this period didn't help - the same symptoms occurred. I was at a total loss as to why this was happening. However, after that 4 or 5 day period, the cameras stabilized and have been working fine again ever since. Other than changing routers, i didn't do anything else to fix it - it seemed to fix itself.

Now you are indicating that you've experienced the same symptoms, so i'm wondering if there is something that we have in common that would be causing this? Could it be related to the Logitech servers or is some hacker targeting Logitech cameras?

BTW, we use Logitech Alert Commander to record the cameras - my wife likes the search and playback functionality of that NVR software - but we use Blue Iris version 4 to view the cameras, but have disabled recording anything with Blue Iris.

Update:
Searched the Logitech community support forum for Logitech Alert cameras - seems like we are not the only ones that have experienced this issue - but it looks like Logitech has fixed it but they don't seem to indicate what the root cause was:
anyone still useing the 700e and have sudden connection problems?

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you all using the powerline adapters that typically come with the Logitech Alert systems or are they hardwired? Which version of BI? Are the cams configured in BI as Logitech cams or generic? I needed a temporary camera last week so I dusted off one Logitech Alert with powerline adapter (don't have ethernet at that spot), configured it in Commander, then set it up in BI trying both Logitech and Generic as the cam type. End result was it continuously took down my network (I did check for IP conflicts, but that wasn't it AFAIK). I had success with this last year, but I couldn't get it to work last week and gave up.

jpapanas22

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m using the powerline adapters that come with the Logitech alert system.

I’m using the following - see attached
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
@TonyR - I only noticed this after upgrading to BI5. The cameras are all wired, connected to a multi-port POE switch, the same switch is working perfectly with other cameras. Image hopefully showing below now.

Cam settings.png

I just have the 1 camera still connected but it does not pull the feed up in BI at all.

I am a bit behind on Windows updates so will do those to see if it has any effect.

Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. I have tried adding the camera using the RTSP address as suggested but no luck with that. Using that exact address as a network stream in VLC does show the camera stream perfectly.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. I have tried adding the camera using the RTSP address as suggested but no luck with that. Using that exact address as a network stream in VLC does show the camera stream perfectly.
Sorry....guess I crapped out.:idk:

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try adding the port number to the ip address in the address configuration: 192.168.1.59:<port number>

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try adding the port number to the ip address in the address configuration: 192.168.1.59:<port number>
Great idea..I overlooked that even though that's how my TOP-201 birdcam is, as in:

"rstp://192.168.1.59:554/HighResolutionVideo"

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
554 is the rtsp port. The Alert cams are probably set to 80. Can you see the connected port on your router or network map somehow? I seem to remember not needing user/pass for these cams in BI, but don't remember for sure. If you can see the cam in Commander, BI will display the feed with the right settings...just need to nail that down...I know it's frustrating :D

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't speak to BI5 as I am still on 4, but I can tell you BI needs the correct user/password for these to work.
You may want to verify that.

Reaction score
Resolved

I got a response from Ken at BI who suggested a few things. The thing that resolved the issue was to disable hardware decoding for this camera from within the Video tab.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions provided.