Resource is limited, open video failed!

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Initial setup of a Dahua DH-SD22204T-GN mini PTZ dome camera. This is a generic no label camera purchased from Ali-Express. The camera is NTSC and has English firmware. I do not know if it is a China region camera or not.

From within the firewall I have full access to the camera and all settings and it appears to work as expected. The camera is connected direct to the router on the LAN. When I first logged on the camera asked for the browser plugin to be installed. Power is provided with a single channel POE injector and access is via Firefox on both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Pro computers.

Access from outside the firewall is where the problem occurs. I am using the NOIP DDNS service. On first access the camera asks for the browser plugin to be installed. Second access gets me to the login screen for my username and password. The full control panel comes up with access to the settings and etc. and I can control the PTZ functions. In the window where I expect to see the picture is a message Resource is limited, open video failed! My first reaction was to cut down the main stream resolution, disable the sub streams, and limit the data rate. That did not help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

switchman

n3wb
Reaction score
At quick guess, I would think you have not forwarded all of the required ports in your router.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At quick guess, I would think you have not forwarded all of the required ports in your router.
Distinctly possible. In the camera setup I have a TCP Port, UDP Port, HTTP Port, RSTP Port, and HTTPs Port. The only port I have forwarded is the HTTPs. Is there a list of which is necessary or go by trial and error?

switchman

n3wb
Reaction score
I cant tell which ports are most likely, I am just getting into the cameras.

If it was me, I would load-up wire-shark on the pc you view the video with within your LAN and see what ports are actually being used. With that said, look at the camera and the software and see what ports they are set for. Me, I would try try adding the RSTP port, then the UDP port with the last being the TCP. Make it a cumulative add. Then start with the the first port and close it and then check that streaming is still working. Rinse and repeat to find which exact port you need.

You would be better off running a VPN on your router and tunneling into your home network. It is a lot more secure.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cant tell which ports are most likely, I am just getting into the cameras.

If it was me, I would load-up wire-shark on the pc you view the video with within your LAN and see what ports are actually being used. With that said, look at the camera and the software and see what ports they are set for. Me, I would try try adding the RSTP port, then the UDP port with the last being the TCP. Make it a cumulative add. Then start with the the first port and close it and then check that streaming is still working. Rinse and repeat to find which exact port you need.

You would be better off running a VPN on your router and tunneling into your home network. It is a lot more secure.
Thank you for the suggestion on ports. I will go through that process.

I have gleaned the words VPN and tunneling into your home network several times from this forum. I have yet to find the details on how to do it. One issue I have is there is no PC that runs 24/7 on the network.

The current setup is intended to be temporary until the budget can afford a NVR. I am very new at this also.

switchman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have gleaned the words VPN and tunneling into your home network several times from this forum. I have yet to find the details on how to do it. One issue I have is there is no PC that runs 24/7 on the network.
A PC is not required. Depending on the router you have, it may already be built in. If it is not, then there are 3rd party firmware options available for many of the popular routers that have it. Look at Tomato, DD-WRT and Merlin's builds if you have an ASUS. The best option will be dictated by your router.

Me I use OpenVPN.

After on your solution you can find instructions on how to set it up on the web

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the RTSP port is not open, you need to open that..

the VPN Server should run on your router, no need for an always on PC.. the details how to set up the VPN will be in your router's documentation or online guides, presuming your router supports a VPN Server.. if it does not, I suggest you consider upgrading to one that does or see if you can reflash an open source firmware on it like DD-WRT or Tomato

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Success! Thank you. I had some help over in the other building this evening so it was easy to test. Needed to open the RSTP and HTTP ports. So far I am impressed with that camera.

I will look into the VPN option. My wireless router is an odd duck (an inherited Western Digital AC 1300) and needs to be replaced. Any particular suggestions?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am fond of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouer, but its a pretty advanced router and it might be a bit overwhelming for someone w/out networking knowledge.

Asus and Linksys both have off the shelf routers w/VPN Server support that you can easily put tomato or dd-wrt on if you want more options/power features, do some google-fu and see what's the current champ.. I dont dabble with consumer grade routers, so cant give you anything specific.

When I first found these forums it seems nobody was using a VPN, I am pleased the tides have changed and a large portion of this community is on VPN and urging others to follow them..

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not associate VPN with OpenWRT running on a router. Went over my head.

I have looked at OpenWRT or Tomato as a means to resolve a Wi-Fi coverage area issue by adjusting the transmit power. Configured an old router as an access point for another part of the house and problem was solved. OpenWRT was still on my round-to-it list.

Always something to learn.