Retain trigger clips only?

Locoblade

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

If recording 24/7 with motion detection creating alerts, is it possible to set BI to retain the alert clips for a longer period than the rest of the recorded data? For example retain all footage for 7 days but retain triggered alerts for 28 days?

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All

If recording 24/7 with motion detection creating alerts, is it possible to set BI to retain the alert clips for a longer period than the rest of the recorded data? For example retain all footage for 7 days but retain triggered alerts for 28 days?

thanks
The only way to do this is to clone the camera setting one to motion only and recording to an auxiliary folder with longer retention times. This however results in wasted recording space while both copies are on the drive. You can email support and ask for that function.

Locoblade

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I guess cloning is an option, I may look into that and will send in a support request to see if that funcion can be considered as well. Thinking about it though, given in 24/7 recording mode alert clips are just bookmarked sections of the bigger continuous recording, to retain alert clips whilst binning the rest would need some kind of export from the bvr file to extract the alert sections into another file so I can see why that might be less than straightforward to do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I guess cloning is an option, I may look into that and will send in a support request to see if that funcion can be considered as well. Thinking about it though, given in 24/7 recording mode alert clips are just bookmarked sections of the bigger continuous recording, to retain alert clips whilst binning the rest would need some kind of export from the bvr file to extract the alert sections into another file so I can see why that might be less than straightforward to do.
Yes that is exactly the problem... Recently blueiris implemented a function that allows you to cut the bvr clip when a recording is triggered... So in theory your request is not that far off... It would be a useful function... Some vms like Network Optix attack this in another manner whereby the continuous record uses the sub stream and upon motion detection it transitions to the mainstream...

Locoblade

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess the easiest way for them to do it (albeit at a cost in storage) would be to create a second alerts only BVR where the alert segment of the clip is mirrored to as it's triggered saving to a separate folder with separate archive/delete controls, basically the same as what a clone of the camera in motion only mode would do that you suggested, but without physically having the second camera in the interface. That way you could clean up continuous BVRs on one schedule and alerts on another without needing to do any post event exporting from a single BVR.