Reverts to evaluation version after windows updates

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After I set BI to run as a service, each time windows updates BI reverts to evaluation version. If I reboot manually this doesn't happen. I have read threads where people accidentally update BI but this is not the case for me. I have the "Make a backup of the current executable" checked. Yes I could set windows to not install any updates or not run as a service but there must be some other option.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think your post needs clarification as to me it’s not too clear when or what causes the issue.

One recent things is that if your support has expired then updating to a version which was released after your expiry date will cause this evaluation issue but you mention Windows updates which really has nothing to do with BI?

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think your post needs clarification as to me it’s not too clear when or what causes the issue.

One recent things is that if your support has expired then updating to a version which was released after your expiry date will cause this evaluation issue but you mention Windows updates which really has nothing to do with BI?
I have BI set to run as a service. Windows updates are set to automatically install so when the PC gets an update and reboots, the BI services starts but when I view the UI3 it says evaluation version. If I start the console I need to supply the license number again.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have only the single license code, I recall reading where some people who upgraded from v4 might have received another code so that they could upgrade but can’t be sure.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have only the single license code, I recall reading where some people who upgraded from v4 might have received another code so that they could upgrade but can’t be sure.
I have the license code and an upgrade code. I am supplying the license code and it says I am licensed until next year.
I should say that I have another BI system that is doing the same thing after setting it to run as a service.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I added my name and email to the about screen because the help file indicates this might be necessary. I will see if this fixes the issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A complete wild guess, but maybe when Windows updates, there is something in a Windows file that is set to an either older date or a newer date that then updates to the correct date/time during the reboot process, but BI starts up prior to that happening and the date is outside the range of the your BI support so it reverts it to Eval?

I know I have a cheap camera that if it loses power, it reverts back to 1970 until the NTP updates it - kinda where I got the idea.

In any event, you should probably disable the Windows auto updates.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A complete wild guess, but maybe when Windows updates, there is something in a Windows file that is set to an either older date or a newer date that then updates to the correct date/time during the reboot process, but BI starts up prior to that happening and the date is outside the range of the your BI support so it reverts it to Eval?

I know I have a cheap camera that if it loses power, it reverts back to 1970 until the NTP updates it - kinda where I got the idea.

In any event, you should probably disable the Windows auto updates.
This is happening on two BI installations. I ran BI-4 at one location for over a year and I never had this problem. This may be some date related issue but it's interesting this is happening on two different PCs and in different locations.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could the upgrade codes be accidentally switched - maybe the upgrade code was for the other BI install and a recent update to BI that forces it into evaluation mode - maybe BI isn't in the registry file yet on Windows update?

It certainly sounds like something with the update.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj was basically correct. I was using the same code for both installations accidentally. I feel dumb and I hope this fixes this issue. There must be some period of time or after a reboot that BI tried to validate the license and then deactivated both installations since they were using the same number. Thanks for the help everyone.