Review-Dahua/EmpireTech Dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (The Boobie Cam Upgrade)

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just purchased this camera, it arrived today and and I have it setup with Blue Iris and working well.

BUT...i cannot get the video to load in the web interface in chrome.

I download the plugin from the chrome store, open it, enter IP, then on the login page enter the correct username and password and am told the username or password is incorrect and I have X# more attempts.

I really only want to change the location of the video overlays (ie: move the date/time from upper right to lower right) produced by the camera but cannot figure out how to do so as the page is black with 'download plugin' text. (see image)
dual.png

What am i missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased this camera, it arrived today and and I have it setup with Blue Iris and working well.

BUT...i cannot get the video to load in the web interface in chrome.

I download the plugin from the chrome store, open it, enter IP, then on the login page enter the correct username and password and am told the username or password is incorrect and I have X# more attempts.

I really only want to change the location of the video overlays (ie: move the date/time from upper right to lower right) produced by the camera but cannot figure out how to do so as the page is black with 'download plugin' text. (see image)
View attachment 163352

What am i missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The extension is for Explorer. Use Internet Explorer and you will see the image.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a work PC and currently cannot run IE ( I will investigate/request it but am not optimistic).

When i click the link to download the plugin in Chrome or Edge it takes me to the Chrome Store.

dualpi.png

Any other suggestions I can try while waiting on an answer re: IE?

Thank you

rouzbeh

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it recommended to go for this camera for outside, looking over and monitoring a backyard (180 degree view) in day and night or better going with two old friend 5442 side by side? The backyard is 15 meters deep.

Last edited:

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have about 4 of each camera and I feel confident in saying that the 5442 is better in every respect except that it would require two of them. The low-light performance of the IPC-T5442T-ZE is dramatically better with the 1/1.8" sensor. It might not matter if using the infrared LEDs, but those are HORRIBLE on the dual-lens camera because of the domes. The domes also make it impossible to see anything if exposed to rain, and then often get dirt on them (from dust + water) that must be cleaned. The cameras are slow because you only have one processor to handle two different streams, and in fact the original version didn't even support the same IVS functionality on both streams because it couldn't. The IPC-T5442T-ZE also supports zooming in, rather than trying to replace a lens to have a different focal length on a dual-lens camera. Let's also not forget that the 5442 supports using any modern browser, while the dual-lens cameras are stuck in the dark ages and require IE or a plug-in that still doesn't really work. IMHO, that's insulting to all users and almost negligent on the part of Dahua.

As I said, I own 4 of them, but I generally don't like them. So why don't I replace them? Because they are convenient and there are locations where I either cannot or will not mount two separate cameras. I realize that "cannot" sounds too absolute, because it's almost always possible to split even a single wire and even use a stronger PoE injector if you're at some limit (e.g. I have three cameras on one run, including a PTZ, so even a 30W injector isn't enough). Having said that, Dahua doesn't offer mounts that are intended for mounting two cameras together, and often the aesthetic of two separate cameras would not be acceptable to various people (from wives to businesses).

The new dual-lens, full-color cameras have SUCH a better form factor that I wanted to upgrade to use them, BUT they don't use infrared illuminators and I don't want visible white light on all the time at night.

So I own 4 of the current dual-lens cameras and I wouldn't change my decision at the time, but they frustrate me a lot. They serve a purpose, but unfortunately come with compromises. You need to decide whether those compromises are worth it to you for the convenience. There is no one "right" answer for everyone, but if you don't mind the aesthetic of 2 T5442T-ZE cameras, or the cost of two separate cameras, or the logistics of supporting two separate cameras, I'm absolutely confident the image quality and function of two cameras will be better.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have about 4 of each camera and I feel confident in saying that the 5442 is better in every respect except that it would require two of them. The low-light performance of the IPC-T5442T-ZE is dramatically better with the 1/1.8" sensor. It might not matter if using the infrared LEDs, but those are HORRIBLE on the dual-lens camera because of the domes. The domes also make it impossible to see anything if exposed to rain, and then often get dirt on them (from dust + water) that must be cleaned. The cameras are slow because you only have one processor to handle two different streams, and in fact the original version didn't even support the same IVS functionality on both streams because it couldn't. The IPC-T5442T-ZE also supports zooming in, rather than trying to replace a lens to have a different focal length on a dual-lens camera. Let's also not forget that the 5442 supports using any modern browser, while the dual-lens cameras are stuck in the dark ages and require IE or a plug-in that still doesn't really work. IMHO, that's insulting to all users and almost negligent on the part of Dahua.

As I said, I own 4 of them, but I generally don't like them. So why don't I replace them? Because they are convenient and there are locations where I either cannot or will not mount two separate cameras. I realize that "cannot" sounds absolutely, because it's almost always possible to split even a single wire and even use a stronger PoE injector if you're at some limit (e.g. I have three cameras on one run, including a PTZ, so even a 30W injector isn't enough). Having said that, Dahua doesn't offer mounts that are intended for mounting two cameras together, and often the aesthetic of two separate cameras would not be acceptable to various people (from wives to businesses).

The new dual-lens, full-color cameras have SUCH a better form factor that I wanted to upgrade to use them, BUT they don't use infrared illuminators and I don't want visible white light on all the time at night.

So I own 4 of the current dual-lens cameras and I wouldn't change my decision at the time, but they frustrate me a lot. They serve a purpose, but unfortunately come with compromises. You need to decide whether those compromises are worth it to you for the convenience. There is no one "right" answer for everyone, but if you don't mind the aesthetic of 2 T5442T-ZE cameras, or the cost of two separate cameras, or the logistics of supporting two separate cameras, I'm absolutely confident the image quality and function of two cameras will be better.
+1

Well stated. I had to turn the fps down to 5 on both channels to get face detection to reliably work on the 2nd channel. The processor seems to favour the first channel. Badly underpowered camera and, yeah, negligent is the correct word to use when referring to the necessary plug-in on the cam's GUI.

They do provide a unique role.

I'd have gone with the Color4K-180 but no face detection which is what I will be using it for.

My 5441 will definitely be useful for my purpose. Excellent idea and mediocre execution on the part of Dahua.

Last edited:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Currently using a IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M at the front door, but thinking of upgrading. Does the IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 allow face detection on one channel and IVS on the other?

- Thomas

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

As I said, I own 4 of them, but I generally don't like them. So why don't I replace them? Because they are convenient and there are locations where I either cannot or will not mount two separate cameras. I realize that "cannot" sounds too absolute, because it's almost always possible to split even a single wire and even use a stronger PoE injector if you're at some limit (e.g. I have three cameras on one run, including a PTZ, so even a 30W injector isn't enough). Having said that, Dahua doesn't offer mounts that are intended for mounting two cameras together, and often the aesthetic of two separate cameras would not be acceptable to various people (from wives to businesses).

Just finished the write-up of my experience installing this cam. Decent enough. Only real headache is the image distortion that seems to be exasperated by me installing 6mm and 8mm lenses. People have reported some distortion with the factory lenses but this was really noticeable with the longer focal length lenses.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've spent the last couple hours trying to install the plugin for this cam and I can't get it working. I read through and preformed everything on this thread multiple times about deleting plugin, clear cash, firmware update. finally I went to read the reviews on the plugin and multiple people have said the plugin has stopped working as of June this year, anybody have a solution. I have tried Mozilla, Brave and IE, no luck.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure it is IE and not Edge that Microsoft snuck in?

Try Pale Moon.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you sure it is IE and not Edge that Microsoft snuck in?

Try Pale Moon.
I tried Pale Moon same results. It downloads and installs but doesn't work. And yes they must have got me the last time I had to restart and wouldn't let me do so without updates because I was loading web right out of the config tool app. I will have to look into this deeper later tonight, trying to figure this out between smoking a pork shoulder doing chores and watching my two crazy kids.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, so I got everything working today. The wife was out and the kids were at school so I had some time uninterrupted. I was able to get everything running when I opened Edge and then ran it in IE mode.

For those that might not know if you open Egde and go into settings, default Browser, allow IE mode and restart session. Then go to the web address and on the top right click on the three dots and then reload in IE mode. Then right click on the IE Icon in the web address bar you can set it to automatically reopen in IE mode for that web address. I took me a min but I got it figured out, and everything is working perfect and have both channels displayed on my Blue Iris.

BTW I have no clue how anyone can work from home and actually get any work done. I couldn't figure out a ten min task over the course of an entire day.

Attachments

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The good news: I can go into the boobie cam in pale moon, I can see and adjust/configure in the web gui both cams, I can see and or bring up one or two in BI. What I can't seem to figure out is how to see both cams at the same time in BI. Obviously I missed and important clue. This brand new from 11.23 sales from Andy, just installed.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
The good news: I can go into the boobie cam in pale moon, I can see and adjust/configure in the web gui both cams, I can see and or bring up one or two in BI. What I can't seem to figure out is how to see both cams at the same time in BI. Obviously I missed and important clue. This brand new from 11.23 sales from Andy, just installed.
you will need to add channel 1 and channel 2 to ur string.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got it, for what ever reason it took 4 times to ad the second, which was really the first, camera. Still don't know why it did the way it did. The first camera, original log in and ad to BI, became the second cam, the second cam is the first. The 4th time it let me ad the additional, number 1 cam. Main thing is they are both working and sending notifications. Yippee :headbang: