Review - Dahua Ethernet over Coax Converter/Extender LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Single-Port Long Reach Ethernet over Coax Extender
LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC

LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC

Review product courtesy of Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) in exchange for an honest review.
Available here from Andy’s Amazon Store (Loryta branded)
Price Approximately US $69.99
LR1002-1ET_LR1002-1EC1_thumb.png
IMG_1387sm.jpg

Technical Specification

Model
LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC

Function Port
1*10/100 Mbps Base-TX
1*BNC

Power Consumption<2W

Transmission Bandwidth
RG59 coaxial cable:
400m/100Mbps, 1000m/10Mbps

PoE Protocol
IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at
Network Standard
IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u, IEEE802.3x

RG59performance.jpg

===================================================

This cool little device allows you to run IP cameras over coax cable. It's a fast, easy way to utilize existing coax/RG59 cable with POE IP surveillance systems and IP cameras.

Although I run Dahua HDCVI cameras at the house, I use Cat5 and video baluns with a Dahua XVR. I initially wired things this way so that if I had a need for an IP camera with features I cant find in HDCVI, I could run either.

To test, I had two 100ft rolls of RG59 left over from a neighbors house install, and two different locations with Dahua NVR's

===================================================

TEST#1 was at a friends house where I'm helping him install 16 Dahua Starlight IP cameras and a NVR5216-16P-4KS2

We hooked up 100ft of RG59 and the LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC to the NVR and a 2231 turret using the straightforward connections shown here. The one unit is marked PoE IN and is connected closest to the NVR, the other unit is marked PoE OUT and is connected closest to the IP camera.

extender_diagram.jpg

The 2231 camera was immediately recognized by the NVR and image quality was identical to running it directly over Cat5

*NOTE: Specs say max 2m of network cable between the unit and IP camera, which is what I was using.

IMG_1368sm.jpg

TEST#2 I used one of our HOA 4208-8P-4KS2 NVR's.

This time I used a older spare Axis 1354 camera I had laying in the garage. Again same immediate connection to the NVR and all controls and image quality were as you would expect. The product works exactly as you would hope it would. No fuss, just plug it in and go on as if you'd run cat5 the whole way.

Just to give it a bit more of a workout, I connected (2) 100ft sections of RG59 together and run the same connection over 200ft of cable. No problem at all.

IMG_1375sm.jpg

IMG_1379sm.jpg

IMG_1380sm.jpg

IMG_1377sm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hackrdeals

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a cheaper alternative to this, maybe ones that aren’t universal? $70 x 6 cams is $420. That’s before the cost of the actual cams XVR etc.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There may be but I know those work...could always use the old coax to pull new Cat5 I suppose...

marko1982m

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I buy 14 pairs of LR1002-1ET/EC adapters, and connect the cams with HIKVision NVR DS-7616NI-K2-16P. The problem is that only 3 - 4 cameras work at the same time with the NVR poe. When I power more cams, the LR1002-1ET is not establish the link with LR1002-1EC. I suppose that the problem is the power limitation of the NVR. Does someone have experiences like this with this adapters?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When I tested I only had two cameras hooked up over coax and the adapters. But had 12 total plugged into the NVR and no problem...

VisionxOrb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a cheaper alternative to this, maybe ones that aren’t universal? $70 x 6 cams is $420. That’s before the cost of the actual cams XVR etc.
Im total ghetto but Im using Directv 3rd gen deca adapters on one of my runs. They dont do PoE but on the remote end i using a 2way splitter on the 12v to power the deca and camera and you can get a pair for like $15, I did have to use a barrel adapter as the deca was slightly different than the standard 5.5x2.1 mm or you could just spice the end on from of the included power supplies.

marko1982m

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, finaly some good news. I tested with POE adapter and the cams works. So it look like that the NVR can't supply enough power to power the adapters and cams.

Last edited:

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the difference between this and the EoC Passive Converter The LR1002, besides the huge price difference.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the difference between this and the EoC Passive Converter The LR1002, besides the huge price difference.
The passive converter doesn't have LEDs? Seriously, a very good question. Comparing spec sheets, the reviewed converter will pass more power at 100m cable length. At greater lengths the passive converter passes more power. Data rates look the same at all distances.

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cheaper LR1002 requires you to use an ePoE switch and an ePoE camera, it doesn't work with regular PoE/Poe+ devices.
At the end of the datasheet there's usually a diagram with the different combinations of elements you can use depending o which kind of devices you use on each end (PoE/ePoE).

For now the biggest problems I've seen with these devices is trying to use them to connect PTZ domes because the power those cameras demand can't be matched by the converters once you have a slightly large run of coax cable.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The cheaper LR1002 requires you to use an ePoE switch and an ePoE camera, it doesn't work with regular PoE/Poe+ devices.
Got it! The more expensive converter adds the "e" capability to a non-e device. Paying more attention, the datasheet diagram lays it out pretty well. Makes me wonder if it isn't a better choice to use coax for long runs, even when given the choice of coax or catx.
epoe.jpg

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I'm not that fond of coax nowadays. Wiring with utp will leave you a run of cable more versatile and for long runs you still have options with utp using a switch on extended mode for up to 250m or even the ePoE with dahua cameras which will give you 800m and utp is way cheaper than coax.
The converters are a situational option, since the cheaper demand ePoE equipment which is more expensive and the expensive ones are way too expensive (60 dollars/euro per camera is crazy) so I think these would be only useful when you are converting an older installation and you want to reuse the old coax.

jkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a couple of coax cables that will just be to tough to replace with CAT6 unless I open up some walls. Are you able to still get sound from the IP Camera through coax though?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any one here experiance this issue?

NVR: Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

You can see in the video link below when the one bnc cable is plugged in, the power is cut from all other adapters. Also, when I plug in the cat6 from the last two adapters to ports 15 and 16 on the NVR I lose power to ALL adapters.

Not sure if its lack of power from the NVR onboard POE or some other issue...

One thing to note, not all of the cameras are being detected so there may be issues with some of the preexisting cabling.

PS. SORRY ABOUT THE ANNOYING CHOMPING OF GUM

VIDEO HERE

Last edited: