Review: Dahua HFW5442T-ASE 4MP Starlight+

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True, but I kinda like the old school look ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 0930 firmware worked for most.
Those that had a problem like I did with one camera, got the dreaded red triangle on the Info tab, and it broke IVS, have to apply a special fix that Andy can facilitate, but it seems to have been very limited.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, thanks, that fw does work fine for me as well, never had any issue since the upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi friends! I'm new here but interested in this camera. I'm not _totally_ new to IP cameras as I used to install Ubiquiti camera gear at telco sites but not a lot beyond that. This one seems to be great. I have a question that may not be fun for folks, but since I'm new I'm trying to determine to use a Dahua DVR or buy a PC. I've read the wiki (thanks for that!!) and the question I have may be silly but I'd like a system that will be able to intake the smart data effectively. I'm guessing no issues with Blue Iris taking it in, but does a non Analytics+ Dahua system take it in? I'm going to probably have at most 4 cameras of this quality or lower and like the idea of smart notifications so I don't ignore them. :)
Honestly if going with a PC, I'd like to minimize space, money, and keep enough power to work out things. If I could make a suggestion on what on the wiki would help would be (this is a lot of work so no worries) is importance of processing speed vs cores. It's clear what an ideal system is, it's clear what the minimum but maybe not performant system is, but there's a lot of grey in the middle. I'd imagine this would be hard to keep up with since each gen of processor probably changes the equation. :) If someone has any suggestions, I'd super appreciate it!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So are cams that are being shipped free of this problem? I have been waiting to order 2 but I still need to work out what focal length to get.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi friends! I'm new here but interested in this camera. I'm not _totally_ new to IP cameras as I used to install Ubiquiti camera gear at telco sites but not a lot beyond that. This one seems to be great. I have a question that may not be fun for folks, but since I'm new I'm trying to determine to use a Dahua DVR or buy a PC. I've read the wiki (thanks for that!!) and the question I have may be silly but I'd like a system that will be able to intake the smart data effectively. I'm guessing no issues with Blue Iris taking it in, but does a non Analytics+ Dahua system take it in? I'm going to probably have at most 4 cameras of this quality or lower and like the idea of smart notifications so I don't ignore them. :)
Honestly if going with a PC, I'd like to minimize space, money, and keep enough power to work out things. If I could make a suggestion on what on the wiki would help would be (this is a lot of work so no worries) is importance of processing speed vs cores. It's clear what an ideal system is, it's clear what the minimum but maybe not performant system is, but there's a lot of grey in the middle. I'd imagine this would be hard to keep up with since each gen of processor probably changes the equation. :) If someone has any suggestions, I'd super appreciate it!
The newer Dahua NVRs, 4000 and 5000 series and above do indeed play well with the AI in the cameras. Many can be firmware upgraded to allow AI as well. What model NVR were you considering?

I have no experience with BI

Reaction score
The newer Dahua NVRs, 4000 and 5000 series and above do indeed play well with the AI in the cameras. Many can be firmware upgraded to allow AI as well. What model NVR were you considering?

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'd probably go with the cheaper end since I'm only looking to max out at maybe 4 cams around this quality (max... there may be one or two that arent 4k...maybe not). NVR4104HS-P-4KS2 on amazon is $150 w/o hdd and if that allows all the ai features I want, that'd be great. If you have thoughts or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks! That's really helpful. I'd probably go with the cheaper end since I'm only looking to max out at maybe 4 cams around this quality (max... there may be one or two that arent 4k...maybe not). NVR4104HS-P-4KS2 on amazon is $150 w/o hdd and if that allows all the ai features I want, that'd be great. If you have thoughts or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Use this one, NVR4108-8P-4KS2, this is 8CH and can be updated to 4.0AI firmware, some guys sell on the amazon are not original english models. Maybe can't update to 4.0 version.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I purchased 2 x IPC-B5442T-AS a little bit of time ago from Andy that I have yet to install (62 house projects to do!). I notice, the reviewed version is the ASE. What is the "E" for? Poe enhanced? Oh...I have a "B" in mine too. I remember there was a alpha-numeric Dahua code page around here somewhere.... not sure if it's outdated.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine was Andy's Loryta brand, same camera.

No idea what the ASE means.. :idk:

sackboydad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Want to give my business to Andy because he’s so redirected and helpful here. But I see Amazon sells this camera and it’s really easy and free to return if I don’t like it.
On amazon, the seller looks to be EMPIRETECANDY.

If I buy from Amazon, this is essentially buying from Andy, yes? If it is, will the amazon ones be upgraded with the latest firmware and have Andy’s support as if I bought directly from him?

sackboydad

n3wb
Reaction score

I just bought a Dahua 16 ch DAN52B3P (I guess this is a 5000 series???) Don’t think it’s an AI version where the NVR does the work but definitely has all the menus for AI cameras.
Wonder if this one can ever be upgraded to handle AI itself? It says it has the latest firmware

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How's the motion detection on this camera?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How's the motion detection on this camera?
It supports regular 'grid' motion detection per normal, nothing special there. Most folks find the IVS feature more useful for detecting motion with fewer false alerts. What's new on this camera is that IVS intrusion zones have "filters" that can be set to only trigger if the object is identified as a person or vehicle.