Review-Dahua IPC-HDW1230S Lite series 2mp turret.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY , we have a new economical cam to check out.

I received this cam in exchange for an honest and fair review.

This camera will be available for $85.00 at Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and via EmpireTech Andy

Also available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKT2CNF?tag=ipctk-20

2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera

> 1/2.7” 2Megapixel progressive CMOS
> H.265 & H.264 dual-stream encoding
> 25/30fps@1080P(1920x1080)
> DWDR, Day/Night(ICR), 3DNR, HLC, AGC, BLC
> Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
> 2.8 mm fixed lens (3.6mm optional)
> Max IR LEDs Length 30m
> IP67, PoE
Image Sensor 1/2.7” 2Megapixel progresive CMOS
Effective Pixels 1920(H) x1080(V)
RAM/ROM 256MB/32MB
Scanning System Progressive
Electronic Shutter Speed Auto/Manual, 1/3~1/100000s
Minimum Illumination 0.08Lux/F2.0( Color,1/3s,30IRE) 0.3Lux/F2.0( Color,1/30s,30IRE) 0Lux/F2.0(IR on)
S/N Ratio More than 50dB
IR Distance Distance up to 30m(98ft)
IR On/Off Control Auto/ Manual
IR LEDs 12

I have the 3.6mm fixed lens version, a 2.8mm version is also available.

Smart features:
  • IVS
  • Tripwire
  • Intrusion Box
Here is the full Specification sheet, however, be warned that there are several contradictory specs listed on the website, and in this spec sheet.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180323/DH-IPC-HDW1230S_Datasheet_20180202.pdf

The only portion of this cam that is metal is the ball. All the mountings are plastic.

20180601_194228.jpg 20180601_194248.jpg 20180601_194326.jpg
There are no set screws for mounting. The base on the left is mounted, then the ball and it's hood snaps into the base. You can rotate the cam and the hood to the position you need. Then the white ring you place over the hood, and twist to lock it onto the base. This cam would NOT take much abuse from a vandal.
20180601_194531.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All settings at factory defaults except time and channel name.
Remember to choose 1080p in Youtube.

Here is a full sunlight still shot from today.
testcam.jpg

I'm going to do another video after dark tonight, as you can see in the one below, the SmartIR didn't do it's job, and neither did the shutter when I walked up to it. So, I've reset back to factory defaults and will try again tonight to see if there is any change.

Ok, the smartir does not work. Otherwise, this is a good camera for someone looking for a budget camera.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After some more playing, the WDR doesn't work correctly. You can enable it, it washes out the picture some, but adjusting wdr slider has no affect.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
All settings at factory defaults except time and channel name.
Remember to choose 1080p in Youtube.

Here is a full sunlight still shot from today.
View attachment 30080

I'm going to do another video after dark tonight, as you can see in the one below, the SmartIR didn't do it's job, and neither did the shutter when I walked up to it. So, I've reset back to factory defaults and will try again tonight to see if there is any change.

Ok, the smartir does not work. Otherwise, this is a good camera for someone looking for a budget camera.

@looney2ns thanks buddy !For this camera i test before and found it's very nice for home using with limited budget, just find some good models which can fight with the hacked models. I will check out how cheap i can sell when i get the stocks next week.
New PTZ 45X one, i will apply one for testing, it will be a new big toy for this year. lol.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has there been any firmware upgrades to this camera @EMPIRETECANDY? I'm still on 2.622.0000000.9.R, Build Date: 2018-01-31 and it seems from Firmware that there is a DH_IPC-HX2(1)XXX-Edison_EngSpnFrn_P_V2.680.0000000.7.R.190911.zip update available from them. I've downloaded that, but can't get it to upgrade: it doesn't accept the whole zip file for upload with "File format is in Error!" and if I try to upgrade with only DH_IPC-HX2(1)XXX-Edison_EngSpnFrn_P_V2.680.0000000.9.R.191104.bin that's in the archive, it accepts the file but later fails with "File unmatch, Upgrade failed! Some functions have been closed,reboot device now?".

Any newer firmware we can get directly from you? Thank you.

Edit: also tried DH_IPC-HX2X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream2_V2.800.0000010.0.R.190807.zip since that was listed for “1230” as well, if the cam is on Rhea rather than Edison (whatever that means in practice). Produced the same result as above though.

Last edited:

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, to anyone reading this thread. After some googling, I found this thread Dahua IPC-HFW1230S Broken P2P and tried yet another firmware version available here: . This worked and the camera now doesn't require an old plugin to view video, hooray! It still struggles because the camera seems to be on a very tight CPU budget, but at least it was cheap I guess..

Edit: I couldn't get a live feed with the factory default settings (the "wheel" in the feed just kept spinning), but when I switched codec from H264 to H265, everything worked fine. I'm very happy that I found the update, the camera works much better now.

Last edited:

sleeper52

n3wb
Reaction score
There's supposedly a new firmware for the HDW1230S which is DH_IPC-HX1XXX-Eos4_Eng_P_V2.680.0000000.2.R.190410.zip but I can't seem to find it.
According to the Dahua support page, it should be on 07-Firmware / 01.IPC / 03.Lite / 01.IPC-HX1XXX-Eos4 - HDBW1230-S2 on the share.dahuasecutiry.com:8080 page but I could not find it.
Anyone know where to download this?

sleeper52

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, to anyone reading this thread. After some googling, I found this thread Dahua IPC-HFW1230S Broken P2P and tried yet another firmware version available here: . This worked and the camera now doesn't require an old plugin to view video, hooray! It still struggles because the camera seems to be on a very tight CPU budget, but at least it was cheap I guess..

Edit: I couldn't get a live feed with the factory default settings (the "wheel" in the feed just kept spinning), but when I switched codec from H264 to H265, everything worked fine. I'm very happy that I found the update, the camera works much better now.
Unfortunately the link you provided doesn't give me the download link for the firmware. Which firmware version did you use and can you kindly send me a download link? I would really appreciate it.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the link you provided doesn't give me the download link for the firmware. Which firmware version did you use and can you kindly send me a download link? I would really appreciate it.
I used the one you referenced above. It turns out from another thread that share.dahuasecurity.com is only accessible from Europe (and possibly China). Get yourself a VPN service, choose a European country for your IP address and download away. I can’t attach the firmware zip unfortunately, it’s too large.

sleeper52

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the one you referenced above. It turns out from another thread that share.dahuasecurity.com is only accessible from Europe (and possibly China). Get yourself a VPN service, choose a European country for your IP address and download away. I can’t attach the firmware zip unfortunately, it’s too large.
Ah, i see. Thanks. Will do that.

sleeper52

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the firmware once I got a VPN to France. Cam runs on Chrome fine now. Thanks.
The north remembers mate.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those still following this thread..

Updated firmware for this camera is difficult to find. The links I posted above doesn't work anymore and a search for the camera on dahuawiki.com doesn't yield any results. Searching for "eos4" on doesn't seem to produce a match that works for this camera.

Anyone found anything new?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did the previous firmware that you updated the camera with fix the issues I mentioned in the review?
Are you referring to the SmartIR issue @looney2ns? I had dismounted and replaced the camera with another one by the firmware upgrade, so I’m afraid I don’t know. For me, the biggest and most obvious improvement was that the plugin wasn’t needed anymore and interface/IVS configuration behaved better.

Edit: re-read the thread and saw WDR mentioned too. Same as above, didn’t test it specifically. However as I have WDR and too much image enhancement making my newer T5241H-AS-PV go down on it’s processor knees as well, I doubt this camera would do better.