Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Dahua will release a new 12MP camera, same series as IPC-HFW7442H-Z.
This is found by my visiting dahua's exhibition today, guys can refer to this link for some new items.
1572446821454.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua will release a new 12MP camera, same series as IPC-HFW7442H-Z.
This is found by my visiting dahua's exhibition today, guys can refer to this link for some new items.
View attachment 49823
Ultimate question is, how will this perform in low-light?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Arjun, take a look at the night video shared in post 3 (initial night video), it performs very well and is a nice bright lens even with minimal lighting as I show there with the cars and deer shots.

Ultimate question is, how will this perform in low-light?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
More video's updated in post 3.3. More night captures in current position with successful ANPR hits.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Davahad

I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about your question. The answer is really in what you want to see as an output and where you pull the data from.

For example, in camera you can pull, hourly, daily, monthly, yearly counter type reports in Bar or Line Chart as I show below when using Video Structuralization (counts Vehicle, Non Motor Vehicle, People etc and you can select what you want to report on)

Video Structuralization Report.jpg

You can also do the same for ANPR but again as the Video Structuralization captures more statistics I would advise using that instead.

ANPR Report.jpg

Either way both charts can be exported as a BMP picture only.

Now if you move to an AI NVR then you can only pull 7 days BUT gain a LOT more. Specifically you can export to a CSV file like below (removed plate numbers for privacy) and choose the amount of information you want to see. You also get a download folder that contains all vehicle and plate captures in JPG for the same period). This is great because there is an embedded hyperlink in the spreadsheet that when you click brings up the associated image. It can do this for the full res, close up and plate views, I just removed those from this export and only used the wide, full res pics.

AI NVR Export Results.jpg

Can you show some reports of what the stats look like for the car counters? Interested in total # of cars for a day and if there is anymore detail (ie., hourly, etc,)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@Davahad

I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about your question. The answer is really in what you want to see as an output and where you pull the data from.

For example, in camera you can pull, hourly, daily, monthly, yearly counter type reports in Bar or Line Chart as I show below when using Video Structuralization (counts Vehicle, Non Motor Vehicle, People etc and you can select what you want to report on)

View attachment 49905

You can also do the same for ANPR but again as the Video Structuralization captures more statistics I would advise using that instead.

View attachment 49906

Now if you move to an AI NVR then you can only pull 7 days BUT gain a LOT more. Specifically you can export to a CSV file like below (removed plate numbers for privacy) and choose the amount of information you want to see. You also get a download folder that contains all vehicle and plate captures in JPG for the same period). This is great because there is an embedded hyperlink in the spreadsheet that when you click brings up the associated image. It can do this for the full res, close up and plate views, I just removed those from this export and only used the wide, full res pics.

View attachment 49904
What AI NVR are you using? What about the firmware update for the older models? The 5216 Pro Series has the ability for some AI now thanks to the NVR 4.0

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Arjun , I'm currently testing the...........5216 pro with NVR 4.0 loaded for the AI features ;) Will be working on a review of both the HW and the FW soon as well :)

What AI NVR are you using? What about the firmware update for the older models? The 5216 Pro Series has the ability for some AI now thanks to the NVR 4.0

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome, that means existing owners don't have to upgrade to the recently released AI NVR's.

@Arjun , I'm currently testing the...........5216 pro with NVR 4.0 loaded for the AI features ;) Will be working on a review of both the HW and the FW soon as well :)

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My NVR is DHI-NVR5416-4KS2 so if update to 4.0 I can pull the same report?

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is 4,0 stable now? I loaded 1st version but then stopped getting push notifications and reverted back to 3.X

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you can. Now in answer to your other question ‘is it stable ?’, there are still a number of quirks and bugs that need ironing out (I’m building a list to have sent to Dahua) so yes you can use it and it is functional but you may find certain elements don’t work as expected or at all currently.

The good news is FW is coming at least once a month and personally, I’ve found the power and feature set of NVR 4.0 (vs 3.0) worth the upgrade especially with AI cams. Will post more details when I do the NVR and OS review.

My NVR is DHI-NVR5416-4KS2 so if update to 4.0 I can pull the same report?

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to order the IPC-HFW7442H-Z4 with the 32x zoom and will let you know how it works for license plates, car counting, etc.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m going to move the cam and post more LPR shots soon so you’ll see how it performs when setup at a more LPR friendly location. This will be in line with my 5231 & 5241 LPR setups.

The Z4 version will certainly allow more flexibility on install location with the 8mm to 32mm than the standard lens and depending on your location, distance to target, choke points etc will impact the end result.

The Z12’s I mentioned (5231 & 5241) above allow for even tighter image and further flexibility with the Z12 of the 5241 being part of the Pro AI series (human and vehicle detection only but no ANPR or Video Structuralization) series but at 2MP. I think you’ll be happy with the 7442 but msg me directly with install location details and will help with tips / tweaks if you’d like.

I intend to mount this 7442 as close as I can get to provide a similar comparative LPR image for all here.

Thanks. I am going to order the IPC-HFW7442H-Z4 with the 32x zoom and will let you know how it works for license plates, car counting, etc.

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the HFW5241EP-Z12E and it is working great with OpenALPR day and night. I added a separate Axton IR Emitter MGPXL AT-11E-S PoE IR ILL/850nm/20x10D to help as it is a long distance away.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More video's updated in post 3.3. More night captures in current position with successful ANPR hits.
So I noticed car flashers in video which did not prevent capture, kewl. Too much snow for this Southern Boy :), have a friend up in the mountains of Bailey, Colorado that pretty much almost every morning during winter had to snow blow driveway just to go to work. I think I would get a job where I worked at home :) Thanks again for video/info...

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
hey David, to clarify, every car in the video resulted in a capture even with the flashers. Just dial in HLC OR set exposure high enough to compensate. I wasn’t quick enough to pull some of the close up pics before I formatted the drive but every vehicle I show got an ANPR hit across all videos. Hope that helps

So I noticed car flashers in video which did not prevent capture, kewl. Too much snow for this Southern Boy :), have a friend up in the mountains of Bailey, Colorado that pretty much almost every morning during winter had to snow blow driveway just to go to work. I think I would get a job where I worked at home :) Thanks again for video/info...

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Davahad

View attachment 49905

View attachment 49906

View attachment 49904
Any setting for License Plate Alert Notifications? Blacklist, Whitelist, etc.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
On the AI NVR you can setup B/W list with alarm outs for each. .What is really cool is that you can also PT activate from your AI LPR cam when a blacklisted or whitelisted vehicle is detected. For example AI LPR picks up blacklisted plate, PTZ activates to set location and tracks from there. So although PTZ activation through NVR's etc is not new, doing this on plate detection is really useful.

Any setting for License Plate Alert Notifications? Blacklist, Whitelist, etc.