Review: Dahua SD29204UE-GN 2MP 4x Starlight IR PTZ

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I bring you the "Mini Blackface" SD29204UE-GN 2MP 4x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera Lite series PTZ. Once again we want to thank Andy @EMPIRETECANDY for providing this camera in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This camera can be purchased here: Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-SD292...EBQGJF&qid=1569806871&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

or here: Aliexpress link
US $166.24 5% OFF|MINI PTZ 4x optical zoom Starlight New model SD29204UE GN replace for SD29204T GN,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Dahua Product Detail

SD29204UE-GN_Image_thumb.png

Specs:

SD29204UE-GN
2MP 4x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera

> 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
> Powerful 4x optical zoom
> Support Triple-streams encoding
> WDR, Day/Night(ICR), Ultra DNR
> Max. 25/30fps@1080P
> IVS
> Support PoE
> IR distance up to 30m

*Notice it doesnt advertise or state 'Starlight" yet the minimum illumination specs fall easily into the Starlight rating.

specs.jpg

*This PTZ is not rated for outside, it is an inside camera.

So I mounted this in a spot where I previously had a CVI Starlight turret. Its a much better image. This is the one and only camera inside the house. Our living room is extremely dark, no windows as it sits in the center of the house. This location allows me to view down through the house just in front of the front door all the way to the back doors that open out to the pool.

The camera fits in nicely, not too big, and the image is what we've al become accustomed to with a Starlight 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS

IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0629.JPG

Video: (featuring my hard working assistant Samantha)

Daytime video
1/30 Exposure, a little WDR (20), DNR50
(As usual, make sure you change the Youtube player to 1080p)

Nighttime video
1/30 Exposure, DNR50
IR- SmartIR

The PTZ options are way more than I'll ever need but for the right area they might come in handy.

PTZ-Interface.jpg

Notes:
  • Again this is an INSIDE PTZ. Not rated for weather.
  • IVS works as expected. Tripwire, Intrusion,Abandoned/Missing
  • I am able to operate without a plugin in Firefox and Pale Moon. However Chrome is asking for a plugin?
  • Face Detection works, though its basic. I need to install an SD card as my XVR doesn't acknowledge it for some reason, but the detection does work well considering the dark room.
  • Mounting was easy, it comes with a simple metal plate you attach to the ceiling with 3 screws and simply twists onto that mount
  • There is NO auto-tracking at this price point. And really when ya think about it, having the damn thing track me around the house in my underwear is something that would get old fast!
  • The iDMSS app allows me to easily control the PTZ and switch between presets. I like that I can remotely see both entry doors to the house with a couple of clicks.
  • Built-in Mic- though I currently have it turned off. Its very sensitive it seems. Hearing myself snore all night is another thing I think i can do without, but when we are away it would be handy to turn on.

Image quality is what we've come to expect from Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras.
DVR_IP PTZ Camera_main_20190928110406_@1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note:
I was using 1/30 exposure in that test. Ive since gone to 1/60 and eliminated that little bit of motion blur you see if you look hard. As mentioned that living room is deceivingly dark.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So Ive decided that while I dont "need" it, I find the image better than the one I replaced, and the ability to check out the house and front door while away is more than I had before.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bigredfish Thanks for the review... gives me some ideas / options. Would also like to say what a lovely home you have my friend. I guess it's all Mrs Bigredfrish's work ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually that was me. Mom was an interior designer and some if it rubbed off.

Thought about starting a business “Redneck Interior Design” but ..... :D

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice, how long has it been outdoors? I know its not rated, but think I may move to the covered portion of the pool deck

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, how long has it been outdoors? I know its not rated, but think I may move to the covered portion of the pool deck
When nayr was around, he had one of the first version of this cam mounted under the eve by his front door, for I'm thinking like 2 years or so.
When he replaced it, it had darkened the soffit it was mounted to from the heat it generated.
He replaced it with one with higher zoom, not because it had issue's.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bring you the "Mini Blackface" SD29204UE-GN 2MP 4x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera Lite series PTZ. Once again we want to thank Andy @EMPIRETECANDY for providing this camera in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This camera can be purchased here: Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-SD292...EBQGJF&qid=1569806871&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

or here: Aliexpress link
US $166.24 5% OFF|MINI PTZ 4x optical zoom Starlight New model SD29204UE GN replace for SD29204T GN,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Dahua Product Detail
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/29547

View attachment 48305

Specs:

SD29204UE-GN
2MP 4x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera

> 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
> Powerful 4x optical zoom
> Support Triple-streams encoding
> WDR, Day/Night(ICR), Ultra DNR
> Max. 25/30fps@1080P
> IVS
> Support PoE
> IR distance up to 30m

*Notice it doesnt advertise or state 'Starlight" yet the minimum illumination specs fall easily into the Starlight rating.

View attachment 48304

*This PTZ is not rated for outside, it is an inside camera.

So I mounted this in a spot where I previously had a CVI Starlight turret. Its a much better image. This is the one and only camera inside the house. Our living room is extremely dark, no windows as it sits in the center of the house. This location allows me to view down through the house just in front of the front door all the way to the back doors that open out to the pool.

The camera fits in nicely, not too big, and the image is what we've al become accustomed to with a Starlight 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS

View attachment 48306 View attachment 48307

Video: (featuring my hard working assistant Samantha)

Daytime video
1/30 Exposure, a little WDR (20), DNR50
(As usual, make sure you change the Youtube player to 1080p)

Nighttime video
1/30 Exposure, DNR50
IR- SmartIR

The PTZ options are way more than I'll ever need but for the right area they might come in handy.

View attachment 48308

Notes:
  • Again this is an INSIDE PTZ. Not rated for weather.
  • IVS works as expected. Tripwire, Intrusion,Abandoned/Missing
  • I am able to operate without a plugin in Firefox and Pale Moon. However Chrome is asking for a plugin?
  • Face Detection works, though its basic. I need to install an SD card as my XVR doesn't acknowledge it for some reason, but the detection does work well considering the dark room.
  • Mounting was easy, it comes with a simple metal plate you attach to the ceiling with 3 screws and simply twists onto that mount
  • There is NO auto-tracking at this price point. And really when ya think about it, having the damn thing track me around the house in my underwear is something that would get old fast!
  • The iDMSS app allows me to easily control the PTZ and switch between presets. I like that I can remotely see both entry doors to the house with a couple of clicks.
  • Built-in Mic- though I currently have it turned off. Its very sensitive it seems. Hearing myself snore all night is another thing I think i can do without, but when we are away it would be handy to turn on.

Image quality is what we've come to expect from Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras.
View attachment 48309
Me thinks Samantha must be a millennial. ;)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A couple day and night pics from this cam, mounted on an antenna pole on my roof.
Note that there are no lights on my street at night, but IR emitters installed at the front yard cam lights up the trees/street.
Great way to provide presence (not detail) coverage of the street, as wall as surroundings with ptz.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple day and night pics from this cam, mounted on an antenna pole on my roof.
Note that there are no lights on my street at night, but IR emitters installed at the front yard cam lights up the trees/street.
Great way to provide presence (not detail) coverage of the street, as wall as surroundings with ptz.

So you have this camera, SD29204UE-GN mounted in your roof exposed to the elements?