Review-Dahua SD42212T-HN 2mp Starlight 12x PTZ

xyvyx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't believe that would be acceptable...but thank you very much for taking the time to investigate this.
While panning/tilting would behave somewhat strange, presets would work just fine. With my own PTZ models, I've found that I use those more than manual panning & tilting. They're also handy when you can trigger them based on an external event... ie: a door was opened, so flip over & zoom to the door for 30 seconds.

But many folks find that having 2 cameras is often better & most cost-effective than a single PTZ. *shrug*

** ok, nevermind.. SkyLake is totally right. You could maybe adjust the roll so that some of the angles would look fine, but the rest would likely be upside down.

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns...in your opinion could this camera be vertically mounted on an inside wall and still have the PTZ function adequately? (mounted as shown as shown in the image below?)...

View attachment 38139
Hi Q,

This is how it would look like, when you mount a PTZ camera vertically on a wall. As you can see, it would only be useful as a static / fixed camera after mounting it like this. Otherwise you would go seasick in a very short time :D

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Other than not having to make a huge hole, what's the advantage of this cam over the SD52C225U-HNI which has higher zoom, starlight, intelligent features, and is also $320 from Andy...?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Other than not having to make a huge hole, what's the advantage of this cam over the SD52C225U-HNI which has higher zoom, starlight, intelligent features, and is also $320 from Andy...?
There are instances that the SD52C225U-HNI could not be recessed into a hole, so this could be used instead.
All these cams are designed with business's in mind, not home owners.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
There are instances that the SD52C225U-HNI could not be recessed into a hole, so this could be used instead.
All these cams are designed with business's in mind, not home owners.
This one install on the ceiling directly, like turret cameras. No need dig hole.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns In your videos, is the camera autofocusing after ptz'ing to each new location? Meaning, at any point in your videos did you force a manual focus?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Old man winter has finally cut us a little slack.

All settings except time and channel name set at defaults.
I seem to see a little bit of aberrations in the picture. Will see how it does at night focusing, as it has issue's in daylight beyond 9-10 zoom.
I had some special assistants this time.
Hopefully night vids tomorrow.

Night Videos
Videos are lit, from one 4 watt IR illuminator, and from the SD59225U-HNI on the roof.
You can definitely see the reflection issue's that are always mentioned around here, from the dome on this cam.

Another great review. I caught myself scrolling up to the top to check and make sure this was a 12x. I like this one. I'm starting to see what you guys are always talking about with domes outside and how it takes away from the picture quality. I'm thinking this would be a great one for inside the bars I'm in for the owners to have a very clear picture of the bar areas.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

ShawnB

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to get the 25x over the 12 x for outiside. I liked them both but the 25x seems to win out in my opinon better value as well.
Size and weight differences are worth considering. I have a SD59230U-HNI that has been sitting in the box for over a year because I haven't figured out a good way to mount it on the corner of a metal building due to the weight, and even at 14ft mounting height it looks huge!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Size and weight differences are worth considering. I have a SD59230U-HNI that has been sitting in the box for over a year because I haven't figured out a good way to mount it on the corner of a metal building due to the weight, and even at 14ft mounting height it looks huge!
Corner bracket from Dahua.

ShawnB

n3wb
Reaction score
Corner bracket from Dahua.
I have the Dahua corner bracket, unfortunately the legs aren't long enough to clear the protruding outside corner trim so I can bolt through the PBR panels into some sort of backing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Dahua corner bracket, unfortunately the legs aren't long enough to clear the protruding outside corner trim so I can bolt through the PBR panels into some sort of backing.
Could you build the legs out with treated lumber mounted to the PBR panels, then attach the bracket to the lumber.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So this allows external microphone input, why the bare wire over RCA? That zoom is impressive

Last edited: