Review-Dahua SD42212T-HN 2mp Starlight 12x PTZ

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question before buying this camera…

It is working correctly out of the box (like switching from day to night) without the need to upgrade the firmware ? I am not a great fan about this…

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question before buying this camera…

It is working correctly out of the box (like switching from day to night) without the need to upgrade the firmware ? I am not a great fan about this…
it does work straight out of the box its a brand new camera. but i dont think that will be your problem. he's based in the uk so i cant see him shipping one out to canada,,

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it does work straight out of the box its a brand new camera. but i dont think that will be your problem. he's based in the uk so i cant see him shipping one out to canada,,
I have a quote from Andy, I have buying another camera last year, shipping to Canada in 5 days...

gtbkr25

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased the SD22404T-GN, and when I first added it to Blue Iris, all of the PTZ controls function properly, as well as the presets, but after about 15 minutes the PTZ controls will not respond, but the video still displays. Additionally, in the first 15 minutes I can log into the camera via the IP address, but after that, it quits responding as well. It will reset after I power cycle it, by removing the network cable and plugging it back in, but quits responding again after about 15 minutes. Video still works fine, even when the PTZ quits responding.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Possibilities:
Solid copper wire wasn't used.
RJ45 crimps are iffy.
Power supply isn't up to snuff.
Make sure you don't have an IP conflict.
Reset the camera to factory defaults.
Delete cam from Blue Iris, Re-add by using find inspect.

Sal V.

n3wb
Reaction score
Shout out to looney2ns video and Andy's customer service. I bought two via PayPal: DH-SD42212T-HN on Thursday and they arrived in Los Angeles today. Attch is the box content.

I have cheapie Foscams I'm replacing. We'll see how no IR works out on my dark street.

Note I have PoE so I declined the PS.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shout out to looney2ns video and Andy's customer service. I bought two via PayPal: DH-SD42212T-HN on Thursday and they arrived in Los Angeles today. Attch is the box content.

I have cheapie Foscams I'm replacing. We'll see how no IR works out on my dark street.

Note I have PoE so I declined the PS.
Remember, this cam requires POE+.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe the Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI) reviewed on this board was selling for 320 bucks.
It has 25 x zoom and auto tracking like the SD59225U-HNI
Other than not having to make a huge hole, what's the advantage of this cam over the SD52C225U-HNI which has higher zoom, starlight, intelligent features, and is also $320 from Andy...?
Is there any reason not to get the 25x over the 12 x for outiside. I liked them both but the 25x seems to win out in my opinon better value as well.
I know I'm necroing an old thread, but been looking at this SD42212T with 12x optical zoom.
A number of people ask why not go the SD52C225U with 25x optical zoom. But as far as I can see, its not IP6X rated. So it SHOULDNT be used outdoors. Am I reading that right?

Just tossing up between the two myself, but will be using it in a somewhat exposed outdoor location. It looks like only the 12x is outdoor rated?

bheremans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just purchased the SD22404T-GN, and when I first added it to Blue Iris, all of the PTZ controls function properly, as well as the presets, but after about 15 minutes the PTZ controls will not respond, but the video still displays. Additionally, in the first 15 minutes I can log into the camera via the IP address, but after that, it quits responding as well. It will reset after I power cycle it, by removing the network cable and plugging it back in, but quits responding again after about 15 minutes. Video still works fine, even when the PTZ quits responding.
Did you ever resolved this problem, I also have this problem. I reboot the camera every night , but after some time PTZ is responding badly. Also the sometimes makes a lot of noise when moving.
I already switched from POE+ power to the included power supply, but this didn't change anything.

gtbkr25

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever resolved this problem, I also have this problem. I reboot the camera every night , but after some time PTZ is responding badly. Also the sometimes makes a lot of noise when moving.
I already switched from POE+ power to the included power supply, but this didn't change anything.
No, I returned it. Make sure that your POE switch is not maxed out, that can be a problem sometimes. I have the SD1A203T-GN 2MP PTZ which works pretty well. It is a mini-dome PTZ.

bheremans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used the included power supply to be sure the poe+ switch was not the problem. Unfortunately it is not easy to remove the cam again because of his location. I also hot it that tye cam can't look straight down. The manual says 90° tilt. But that is not true for me..

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@looney2ns would you still recommend this camera (moving from an Acti-B95a), I ordered it but I am disabled and before I hire someone to hang it up I wanted to make sure it was still a good camera. I've added some photos of my two acti locations. Thes images are not as crisp as my other 2 Dahuas, so I was just curious what the thoughts were around this and the quality difference.

Attachments

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can be OK for the SD42212T-HN.
Looney's place has darker street light compare to yours.
Do you think it would be a good upgrade or should I just stick with what I have now and send it back, or do you think there is something better in this price range, and or roughly the same size so my wife does not shoot me in the face :)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns would you still recommend this camera (moving from an Acti-B95a), I ordered it but I am disabled and before I hire someone to hang it up I wanted to make sure it was still a good camera. I've added some photos of my two acti locations. Thes images are not as crisp as my other 2 Dahuas, so I was just curious what the thoughts were around this and the quality difference.
Yes it is a good camera, if you have some light. I see that you do, so yes.
I suggest you have someone set it up as a test, and try it out before mounting it high up.

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it is a good camera, if you have some light. I see that you do, so yes.
I suggest you have someone set it up as a test, and try it out before mounting it high up.
Thank you - the Acti does not have IR either, and the quality is not great but ill give it a shot, worse case it comes down :), and I find something else. I have just had to many problems with these Acti's. Will let you know

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here it is. It is mounted and the quality is much better. Do you think It requires a change from the default settings or do you think these auto settings are okay. I guess a general question I would have... @sebastiantombs would you typically want night vision here or color? Someone broke in to my last truck, and the image was horrible, but this one seems to be really good out of the box, any thoughts?

Attachments