Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are you using an external power supply or is directly connected to a PoE Switch (supporting minimum 30 watts per port)?
POE injector. Specs on it say 802.3AT with output of 55V at 0.6A. Which should come out to 33 watts if I'm not mistaken. I have a couple injectors so I can swap to see if maybe one is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely try swapping out the injector first, sometimes they will not provide consistent power at that requirement.

POE injector. Specs on it say 802.3AT with output of 55V at 0.6A. Which should come out to 33 watts if I'm not mistaken. I have a couple injectors so I can swap to see if maybe one is bad?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Definitely try swapping out the injector first, sometimes they will not provide consistent power at that requirement.
Done. On first boot-up with the swapped supply the camera did not properly home itself. I guess if that doesn't work I can dig around and see if I have a 12V 3A power supply I can try for troubleshooting.

Edit: Just performed a PTZ Restart from the web UI. Watching it do its thing it does the restart and homing properly. Then it calls my "idle" preset and slips on the way there. It is supposed to rotate to a Pan of 106.4 but only makes it approximately 25 degrees before it physically stops moving but the OSD pan counter continues to increase. Happens without fail after every restart.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
How close are you to the camera? if you are close enough do you hear an horrendous grinding noise the moment it starts to loose Preset.

Not a lot of people would hear this noise as the camera is usually positioned outside away from where they are in the property operating it.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How close are you to the camera? if you are close enough do you hear an horrendous grinding noise the moment it starts to loose Preset.

Not a lot of people would hear this noise as the camera is usually positioned outside away from where they are in the property operating it.
Yup, I posted about the grinding several posts back. It is mounted on the front of the house and we can hear it in our living room.

Welp.. Preset slip is back with a vengeance. It slips any time I manually control the camera or select presets that are far apart from each other. When it does slip you can hear a grinding noise as though the gears are slipping or something similar is physically going wrong inside the camera. See the attached videos of it happening. In the video of the camera itself you can hear the normal PTZ "whine" and then hear the very distinct grinding/clicking noise when it slips. I've also included the video from the camera itself where you can see when I call the FrontDoor preset the first few times it points at the door but when it slips it points out into the yard instead. I can manually drive the camera far right beyond the "zero" position then when I go back left you can see it zero itself again.

In the video I was quickly jumping between presets to try to get it to do it several times for the video. Even if I am slowly jumping around or on a preset cycle it will slip anytime it goes between presets that are more than about 90 degrees apart from each other. Whats odd is that I was manually controlling the camera throughout the week with no issues. Then when I went to do it this morning I encountered the slip and it seems to be sticking around this time.

Video of the camera. First slip around the 00:41 mark.

Video from the camera itself. First slip at the 00:39 mark.

I plan to spin the camera 90 degrees so that "zero" is straight out into the yard, that way whenever it pans around it will pass that point. It will also be better with the Home preset being called because it will actually look at something worthwhile when it is called instead of just my pillar. My concern with this workaround is it doesn't seem to actually reset until it goes right beyond the zero position and then comes back left across it. So if I am jumping right quick to look at something all the presets will be goofed up until I pan far enough left again for it to correct itself. I'm also concerned that the slipping could cause more permanent damage over time. If it is in fact a gear or belt slipping I gotta imagine that will cause wear on the parts that are slipping against each other.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a Lemon, mine was returned back to Andy because of this problem. Loosing presets would be no good to me no matter what other settings you programmed into the camera loose that "Home" Preset1 position and your camera is facing somewhere you don't want it to face for me it was the rear wall of my house.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Still no go with the new injector. Still reboots. Seems to be getting more frequent

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Does anyone have any 25x alternative recommendations? No need for auto tracking but would like IVS features.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There is the 5xx series but it doesn't have AI

Does anyone have any 25x alternative recommendations? No need for auto tracking but would like IVS features.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I would not use this switch, it is only Af rated (15.4 watts per port max), and for this camera with IR on and more power needed for the motors, I would use at least an AT (POE+) rated switch.
Thanks. Can you suggest one on amazon or which POE injector from Amazon works will with this camera?

Reaction score
Thanks. Can you suggest one on amazon or which POE injector from Amazon works will with this camera?
In general, selecting a POE power source is going to be dependent on the power requirement of the camera. Since this camera requires 22w (AT rated) with IR on, that means you will need a POE switch or Injector that is POE+ rated. If you are mostly an Amazon shopper, just select any switch/injector with a POE+ rating (at/af compliant) and you will be good to go.

Reaction score
In general, selecting a POE power source is going to be dependent on the power requirement of the camera. Since this camera requires 22w (AT rated) with IR on, that means you will need a POE switch or Injector that is POE+ rated. If you are mostly an Amazon shopper, just select any switch/injector with a POE+ rating (at/af compliant) and you will be good to go.

Thanks for the help. Are most of the injectors 110-240v?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
And read the descriptions closely! There are a handfull of "POE+" switches on Amazon that are powered by POE and don't actually supply power to devices. But the title just says POE+ Switch.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I used this with mine
Input Voltage 100-230v
Output 30w more than enough for the 22w camera with IR on as below

22W will equate to 1.83A IR ON
13W will equate to 1.08A IR OFF

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W) divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

CALCULATION FORMULAR BELOW

SPECIFICATION FOR SD49225XA-HNR BELOW

Power

Power Supply

DC 12V/3A
PoE+ (802.3at)

Power Consumption

13W
22W (IR on)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So is the general consensus on this camera (and the 4MP version) that it's not worth buying at this point due to the issues mentioned throughout this thread (mechanical/hardware issues, disabling of autotracking, loss of presets, etc.)?

Is there a better budget PTZ that is the go-to/preferred model these days? I created this thread to hopefully continue this discussion on, since this one seems better dedicated to the features and issues of this particular model.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the best way in going about mounting this? Where to start? I find it very delicate, is it possible to do this with both hands while standing on the ladder, or do you recommend a second person to help out? Was hoping this would be a 5 second job, lol

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty basic & easy to fit mate, fix the mounting bracket to the camera first this gives you something to hold onto and I always tape the PTZ ball so it don't move while I am installing it ( Do NOT hold it by the cable ) I use the PFA120 Junction box fitted to the outside wall and it comes with it's own gasket and 4x 8mm Hex Bolts & Allan key tool included.

1 person should easy be able to fit it via holding onto the bracket with one hand and doing the rest with your other hand obviously being careful if at the top of the ladder 20ft up :). You should already have your RG45 lan cable in the back box via the 20mm cable gland to weather proof it and just enough sticking up through the back box to connect the camera's end.

Make sure that the Rubber gasket is seated proper before you mate the camera to the backbox as you don't want to damage it.

What I will say if you don't feel confident then get a friend and another ladder.