Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it is uncommon, but any electrical device is subject to whack out at any time. It could have been a power surge, but more than likely it is probably a failing power supply or corrosion you cannot see. Did you use dielectric grease on the connections and waterproof it more than the "waterproofing" contraption it comes with?

Did you try a different power supply? Or the 12VDC power option?
I will take it down today and verify it's not the wiring or switch. If it's dead, I'll try and followup with Andy for a fix.

I actually didn't install it myself, my contractor who did all the wiring for the cameras installed it, but the wiring is in the camera mount and pretty isolated with from weather etc... , but I will know for sure when I get the ladder out and take it down.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will take it down today and verify it's not the wiring or switch. If it's dead, I'll try and followup with Andy for a fix.

I actually didn't install it myself, my contractor who did all the wiring for the cameras installed it, but the wiring is in the camera mount and pretty isolated with from weather etc... , but I will know for sure when I get the ladder out and take it down.
Argh. Looks like a squirrel chewed through the CAT6 cable running up the side of the tree it's mounted on.

At least that's not that hard to fix. Do folks have any ideas about how to prevent critters from chewing through exposed cat6 cable?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Argh. Looks like a squirrel chewed through the CAT6 cable running up the side of the tree it's mounted on.

At least that's not that hard to fix. Do folks have any ideas about how to prevent critters from chewing through exposed cat6 cable?
That is better than the camera going out! Yeah conduit up the tree.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a can of OD green spray paint and paint the conduit after you mount it. Also be aware that a tree grows, the trunk expands like our waistline does. That will bury, bend and crimp anything you mount to it so you'll need to check every year and make adjustments as necessary.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The WAF is going to take a hit on this, but you guys are right about the need for conduit. Sigh. Not that hard to do at least!
Another option would be a waterproof junction box "buried" at the tree with the line from your house terminating in the box and then just an exposed wire from that to the camera so that it is an easy replacement in the future if the WAF doesn't go for the conduit LOL

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're having a laugh if you think Dahua will supply you with parts, you've more chance in having dinner with Elvis.
Really? Dahua is actually like that. Are there any other part manufactures that service that cameras that we can order parts from? If I can ever get this solved, no matter how much I like Dahua camera's performance, I might have to look at another brand for next time. Any company artificially making a product stop working to force it expire is just awful in my eyes. I'm not built that way. I'm used to being able to repair my products more expensive products.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is not Dahua's but the 3rd party seller who you purchased it from. You will probably find Dahua will not sell a consumer parts. If you had purchased through a Authorized Dahua retailer then most PTZ's come with a 3 or 5 year warranty as standard here in UK. Even if out of warranty being a Genuine Dahua camera you will find Dahua will still support you in full.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really? Dahua is actually like that. Are there any other part manufactures that service that cameras that we can order parts from? If I can ever get this solved, no matter how much I like Dahua camera's performance, I might have to look at another brand for next time. Any company artificially making a product stop working to force it expire is just awful in my eyes. I'm not built that way. I'm used to being able to repair my products more expensive products.
You have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

You realize every product is designed with planned obsolescence, whether it be the life of a light bulb, tires, cars, irreplaceable batteries in electronics. etc.. All of them can be made to last longer.

I assure you Dahua isn't the only PTZ manufacturer that limits PTZ cycles...

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is not Dahua's but the 3rd party seller who you purchased it from. You will probably find Dahua will not sell a consumer parts. If you had purchased through a Authorized Dahua retailer then most PTZ's come with a 3 or 5 year warranty as standard here in UK. Even if out of warranty being a Genuine Dahua camera you will find Dahua will still support you in full.
I bought all my Cameras from Andy. Everything I read says Andy is outstanding.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For kicks, please call your authorized dealer and tell them you have a PTZ that is 1.5 years old and is coming up with the longevity warning and see what they say....

Maybe it is different in the UK, and we both know we have gone round and round on this subject LOL, but in the states, I think an authorized dealer would tell you to pound salt:

• Standard Warranty Periods and All-Star Warranty Periods do not apply to moving parts, belts, motors, fans, wiper blades, or removable flash memory in any Product. The applicable warranty period for these items is one (1) year.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought all my Cameras from Andy. Everything I read says Andy is outstanding.
He is, but @ljw2k has it out for him LOL. He is one of very few people that feel they have had a bad experience with Andy (although Andy sent him several replacement PTZs and ultimately refunded his money - not sure what else a vendor is supposed to do at that point). Can't please everyone LOL. Nobody has a 100% rating if you talk to every customer.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I read, Andy's company can modify the firmware directly. If that is the case, then they can remove the PTZ movement limitaiton.

Andy has only treated me right so far. Been very helpful. But I have not had to warranty anything yet. Everything has mostly just worked.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
For kicks, please call your authorized dealer and tell them you have a PTZ that is 1.5 years old and is coming up with the longevity warning and see what they say....

Maybe it is different in the UK, and we both know we have gone round and round on this subject LOL, but in the states, I think they would tell you to pound salt:

• Standard Warranty Periods and All-Star Warranty Periods do not apply to moving parts, belts, motors, fans, wiper blades, or removable flash memory in any Product. The applicable warranty period for these items is one (1) year.
In fact that is actually a good idea as the one I purchased was over 2 years ago
He is, but @ljw2k has it out for him LOL. He is one of very few people that feel they have had a bad experience with Andy (although Andy sent him several replacement PTZs and ultimately refunded his money). Can't please everyone LOL. Nobody has a 100% rating if you talk to every customer.
There was a very valid reason to return both my cameras to ANDY and it was all documented and backed up with Pictures clips and audio on the forums if you search. I just want to correct you that Andy NEVER replaced any of my PTZ's and the refund was painfully slow to the point of getting PayPal involved.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In fact that is actually a good idea as the one I purchased was over 2 years ago

There was a very valid reason to return both my cameras to ANDY and it was all documented and backed up with Pictures clips and audio on the forums if you search. I just want to correct you that Andy NEVER replaced any of my PTZ's and the refund was painfully slow to the point of getting PayPal involved.
Please do call them as we are all interested in what they would say regarding this warning (although we are aware of differences in the UK versus the states).

Yeah, I was following your issues and actually delayed my PTZ purchase until the dust settled and it seemed the sliding presets had resolved themselves with other's purchases. I apologize as I thought there was a replacement involved instead of a purchase, and I knew you got your money back, but wasn't aware that PayPal was involved.

I now have two of these PTZs and I am happy with the performance. I purchased them knowing from this site that there is a cycle limit, so I didn't set up patrol and don't have it tracking every vehicle that goes by. I am assuming (hoping) I simply decide to upgrade it before I get the cycle warning.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
The trouble is I no longer own any PTZ's now and usually the first thing they ask is the serial number of the unit. I will ask Monday though if anything can be done to fix this or at least disable it Unless Andy comes back with a fix before then.

The SD49225sx-HNR was in my opinion the best camera I purchased for value and performance.