Review: EZVIZ DB1C

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, awesome! Your FCC-fu is much better than mine.

Good find on the firmware too! Was wondering about ways to preserve them. Did you guess the path? The directory isn't openly listing
I guess a year of doing this on the RCA Thread helped me thanks to @JSnP. I found the full product model # on EZVIZ's site under Specs and just replaced the DB1 model # with the DB1C model # in the Firmware URL and got lucky :)

1607599719657.png

So, just a suggestion, you might want to include this info on your Review post, I would include the UPC code too. The model # below is what I found on Sellers sites, like Kohl's, Best Buy, etc.

UPC: 810042430075
Model # EZDB1C1E2

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you already have...:headbang:

Oh BTW, I like your comparison chart of the two models...your Spoiler :)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So here is a trick taught to me, also by @JSnP

When saving firmware files (Especially with the same filenames), it is important to get the actual file date (Last-Modified Date) instead of using the date created when you downloaded the file. This is much easier to keep up all these firmwares this way since the filename remains the same on EZVIZ's sites. I would just save the files in their own directories labeled with their Date & Build #.
To do this, use Wget, It is a free command line DOS program that connects to the URL Link/Site to retrieve the last or original file date. The downloaded file will be dated with the last-modified (original release) date, which is what you want, see below:

Once in the GnuWin32/bin Directory type: wget --server (firmware URL/filename)

1607600357757.png

For those not familiar with basic DOS commands:

Click on Windows Start button, type CMD
(Normally you will end up in your Users directory)
(If you installed Wget on a different drive other than C: see below)

To change a drive simply type the drive letter and colon, ex. D: then hit ENTER
To change directories use the cd command, ex. cd Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin
To get a Directory listing; dir

If you ever need help with a command; Type /? at the end of the command, ex. dir /?

A few more help commands:

If you want only the directories or files that start with W for example, use this command; dir w*.*
The * is filename or extension; ex dir *.html

To get to your Root Directory; cd\

1607604116228.png

These are just the Basics, there are many other commands that do similar things, also many other short cuts.

I will leave you with this tip, if you ever needed to know where/get to your TEMP directory; Click on Windows Start button, type RUN, then type %temp% Hit OK

1607603494986.png

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
great review!

Am I right in saying this new DB supports H265 whereas the original DB1 was just h264?

Thinking this might help file sizes and also help me as I have very slow upload speed at home. Might make quality of answering doorbell presses a bit more stable(video and sound)?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
great review!

Am I right in saying this new DB supports H265 whereas the original DB1 was just h264?

Thinking this might help file sizes and also help me as I have very slow upload speed at home. Might make quality of answering doorbell presses a bit more stable(video and sound)?
Correct.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct, H265 is supported which should mean better compression. However, I did not have a chance to use and test is since my own BI setup is not currently handling H265 videos correctly.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, don't understand your question.

You're thinking of having blue iris play a chime notification? Where? On desktop or mobile client?

bcre3306

n3wb
Reaction score
So I don't have either right now, should I buy the new one or older one? This will be connected to my NVR

Reaction score
Sorry, don't understand your question.

You're thinking of having blue iris play a chime notification? Where? On desktop or mobile client?
Via ui3 if that's possible. I don't run BI yet but trying to figure out if it could work. I don't have an existing chime to connect it to and would want it to chime on something that is permanently located at our entrance hall so I was thinking if I hooked up a BI ui3 feed (on monitor with fire tv stick) that would work - but maybe can do something through Alexa and fire tv instead.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Via ui3 if that's possible. I don't run BI yet but trying to figure out if it could work. I don't have an existing chime to connect it to and would want it to chime on something that is permanently located at our entrance hall so I was thinking if I hooked up a BI ui3 feed (on monitor with fire tv stick) that would work - but maybe can do something through Alexa and fire tv instead.
If that's the case, the short answer is no.

The long answer is anything is possible but you may have to invest quite a bit of time into building that works reliably for you (I use relays to trigger a chime in my home automation setup). Just as a matter of keeping things simple, I don't recommend the alexa route because it's a ton of overhead, latency, and overengineering for something that should "just work" like a chime.

To accomplish what you want easily, buying the EZVIZ wifi chime is probably the most straightforward route. I believe @David L has a chime section in the 101

planetix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't speak for outside the US, but if you are US based don't order this from Amazon, as it's only 3rd party drop shippers selling at the retail $99 right now. It's popping up all over other retailers online shops (Kolhs, Lowes, BestBuy) for cheaper - usually $69 but I found it at Best Buy for $59 with free shipping.

$60 sounds like a steal for this thing. I was about to mount my DB1 when I saw this review. I'm using it with Blue Iris and a current sensing switch (this one: ) to send bell ring alerts to my security system (I'm using Konnected but it's a simple binary output so it will trip a sensor on any alarm panel).

Konnected, in turn, notifies my HA (Hubitat) that the doorbell has been rung.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't speak for outside the US, but if you are US based don't order this from Amazon, as it's only 3rd party drop shippers selling at the retail $99 right now. It's popping up all over other retailers online shops (Kolhs, Lowes, BestBuy) for cheaper - usually $69 but I found it at Best Buy for $59 with free shipping.

$60 sounds like a steal for this thing. I was about to mount my DB1 when I saw this review. I'm using it with Blue Iris and a current sensing switch (this one: ) to send bell ring alerts to my security system (I'm using Konnected but it's a simple binary output so it will trip a sensor on any alarm panel).

Konnected, in turn, notifies my HA (Hubitat) that the doorbell has been rung.
I ordered mine from lowes a few days ago, and think it will be delivered today.

so far, are you happy with it?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm curious as well. I was trying to decide between this one and the DHI-VTO2202F-P
I wouldn't categorize them the same. The DHI-VTO2202F-P is more in the "doorstation" category. It's more feature rich (POE, and maybe SIP?), and probably better material and build quality, but also several orders of magnitude higher in price. The install is also much more involved, so it's well suited for new constructions or big renovations.

In other words, it's more of a complete intercom rather than a drop-in replacement for a doorbell, which is what the lower price point units (like DB1, DB11, DB1C) are.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I wouldn't categorize them the same. The DHI-VTO2202F-P is more in the "doorstation" category. It's more feature rich (POE, and maybe SIP?), and probably better material and build quality, but also several orders of magnitude higher in price. The install is also much more involved, so it's well suited for new constructions or big renovations.

In other words, it's more of a complete intercom rather than a drop-in replacement for a doorbell, which is what the lower price point units (like DB1, DB11, DB1C) are.
Agreed, I'm waiting to see how these pan out. Id rather just drop this one in if its reliable enough. I've already got a couple poe cameras pointing at my front porch, so I can tolerate a drop out every once in a while.

murphys_law

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Connecting RTSP + ONVIF

My NVR of choice is Blue Iris, so RTSP connectivity is a must. Similar to the hardware setup, the software config was an easy drop-in replacement. In my case, all I had to do was clone the camera config from the previous DB1, change the IP address and password to the new DB1C, and Blue Iris picked up the audio and video streams right away (via RTSP). For both existing replacements and new camera setups, you will want to double-check your motion zones and triggers to match the new environment.

Substreams are supported on the DB1C with a resolution and framerate of 576x576 @ 15fps - great for BlueIris 5.2.7+ users

As with the EZVIZ variant of the original doorbell, the DB1C firmware does NOT support ONVIF protocol (despite other variants offering ONVIF compliance). I probed both the factory shipped firmware and the updated firmware for ONVIF with no results. It’s not clear what drove this decision (probably because there’s no PIR or perhaps for export compliance?). Anyone who feels they need ONVIF should be aware of this as this might be a dealbreaker for some. Hopefully a software update in the future will change this.
Great review, I just ordered one from Best Buy for $59.99. I couldn't pass it up even with having the DB1 already.

Can you provide the actual address you are using for the RTSP stream(s)?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Great review, I just ordered one from Best Buy for $59.99. I couldn't pass it up even with having the DB1 already.

Can you provide the actual address you are using for the RTSP stream(s)?
should be

MAIN --- r t s p:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/Streaming/Channels/101 (ignore the spaces)

SUB Stream --- r t s p:/admin:<Enter password>@<Enter IP Address>:554/Streaming/Channels/102 (ignore the spaces)