Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Warning silly question to be asked. For these LED cameras, is it the case that at night there is always visible white light and the area covered is constantly lit (brightly) up? Or is the white light at a low level where the human eye struggles to see detail but the camera can enhance?
I think it depends a lot on the area. If you have one of these cameras on an enclosed area like a porch or patio, I think it's going to light it up a lot brighter (like a porch light) than if you have it mounted on the side of your house pointing out to your yard.

In any case, the camera settings allow you adjust the brightness of the LEDs (if needed).

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Warning silly question to be asked. For these LED cameras, is it the case that at night there is always visible white light and the area covered is constantly lit (brightly) up? Or is the white light at a low level where the human eye struggles to see detail but the camera can enhance?

Steve.
Here's a YouTube video showing this model of camera in a laundry room as I change the light settings, if that helps answer the question. It starts from the viewpoint of the Dahua, and then switches to the viewpoint of a camera in the opposite corner from the Dahua. The other camera, a Bosch Starlight 7000 running AUTO, switches into color mode when the Dahua's LEDs are on. At a guess, I'd guess they do maybe 300 lumens maximum (which goes a long way in a interior room with white walls).

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry but does anyone have a working link to the "Active Deterrence" camera that's similar or an idea of price? Also, do they work with Blue Iris? I understand they are not the same camera but what's closest?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Active deterrence cameras are around £135 on ebay. That's probably around $140-150 US. There are several resolutions - 2mp, 4mp and 8mp. Obviously you'd be advised to stick to 2 or 4mp based on past performances of 8mp and the reduced low light performance of these cameras compared to the 5442 in any event. Contacting Andy at Empire Tech is a much safer bet. You may pay a little more, I don't know his pricing on these, but you'll get the backup of 1st class service and guaranteed international not Chinese model cameras.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry but does anyone have a working link to the "Active Deterrence" camera that's similar or an idea of price? Also, do they work with Blue Iris? I understand they are not the same camera but what's closest?
Are you still looking for that Model?

paakofi

n3wb
Reaction score
Do I have to do anything special to get the audio recorded and working for these cameras with the inbuilt mic?
I have hooked them into an NVR with an HDMI out to a TV but I can't hear any audio when live viewing or when playing back recordings.

I have followed the steps in activating the audio within the encoding page and want to make sure there isn't something specific that needs to be done as part of the installation

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you confirm within the Camera GUI that audio is enabled. It is disabled by default.

Also disable noise reduction.

Is the NVR the same make as the camera? If not that could be why.

Then look at the specs to ensure that every camera can receive audio. There are a few around that only accept audio on the first few camera ports.

paakofi

n3wb
Reaction score
I am yet to log into the cameras themselves to check.
The cameras and NVRs are all Dahua.

I'll spend some time tomorrow going logging into the cameras themselves to see if the audio is enabled.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the camera is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their camera.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked cameras that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png

With that said, a member here that sells these cameras does put out firmware here, but proceed at your own risk:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like across the model lines that the S2 is a significant improvement (except for the 49225 that cannot get the autotrack LOL).

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score