Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and why is lighter better?
The really bright ones screw with exposure and causes washout. Plus the S2 is more sensitive so it doesn't need as much light.

Actually many of us with full color type cameras do not even use the LED on the cameras because they can impact exposure/washout, etc.. Much better to have ambient light than use the LEDs if you can.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The main difference appears to be the lens. One is f1.6 the other 1.0. Wonder how this will affect depth of field?

Also, I'm somewhat confused by Dahua heading down the warm led route. Daylight would surely be the best colour temperature for an LED to maximise colour accuracy and minimise colour cast?

S2 looks good but there are some questions to be answered in testing. I have little doubt it will be a good camera overall though. The 5442 is legendary already.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, I'm somewhat confused by Dahua heading down the warm led route. Daylight would surely be the best colour temperature for an LED to maximise colour accuracy and minimise colour cast?
Warm light is daylight. 5000k or so is about daylight. Isn't the S1 higher in color temp (more white/blue)?

rouzbeh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is the HDW5442TM-AS comes with different lenses in the box or I need to order it with the right lens?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is the HDW5442TM-AS comes with different lenses in the box or I need to order it with the right lens?
They offer a few fixed lens size cameras and a varifocal version of a 5442.

There are no different lenses in the box, so if you aren't sure what to buy, purchase the varifocal version of the 5442.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Warm light is daylight. 5000k or so is about daylight. Isn't the S1 higher in color temp (more white/blue)?
There seems to be lots of opinion about daylight even amongst experts. Google daylight and you'll find suggestions from 4500k-6500k. I guess it depends on what time of day you measure it as light tends to be yellow in a morning / dusk. To me noon is daylight. At noon, on a day without clouds, light is very clear and white. CRI is also an important factor although most bulbs these day seem to have a CRI greater than 80% which is perfect.

However, getting away from the technicalities of it, yellow light tends to cast a yellow cast on video. White/ blue white light, tends to look more natural and neutral. Personally, I tend towards 6000-6500k when buying lightbulbs as this to me is what looks like daylight and seems to give the most natural effect. However, even here it has to be said, China's idea of colour temp varies. 1 persons 6500K is white, another might be bluey. There doesn't seem to be a standard or at least one everyone adeheres to. I've tried numerous floods over the years though and with most, even 5000K looks yellowy. Personaly, I always go 6000-6500K.

I have daylight bulbs through out my home, my local eye hospital recommends them, and they're definately very white and around 6500K.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There seems to be lots of opinion about daylight even amongst experts. Google daylight and you'll find suggestions from 4500k-6500k. I guess it depends on what time of day you measure it as light tends to be yellow in a morning / dusk. To me noon is daylight. At noon, on a day without clouds, light is very clear and white. CRI is also an important factor although most bulbs these day seem to have a CRI greater than 80% which is perfect.

However, getting away from the technicalities of it, yellow light tends to cast a yellow cast on video. White/ blue white light, tends to look more natural and neutral. Personally, I tend towards 6000-6500k when buying lightbulbs as this to me is what looks like daylight and seems to give the most natural effect. However, even here it has to be said, China's idea of colour temp varies. 1 persons 6500K is white, another might be bluey. There doesn't seem to be a standard or at least one everyone adeheres to. I've tried numerous floods over the years though and with most, even 5000K looks yellowy. Personaly, I always go 6000-6500K.

I have daylight bulbs through out my home, my local eye hospital recommends them, and they're definately very white and around 6500K.
I do 3000k bulbs in my home. Gives it a sense if warmth. In my business I like 6500k bulbs as it shows off merchandise better with nice bright white light and no yellow. Noon daylight is around 5500k from my experience. That color temp still has a tinge of yellow to me.

It’s mostly personal preference.