Review- OEM IPC-T2831T-ZS 4k varifocal starlight turret & PFB203W Wall Bracket.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, at least there is plenty of time for other models to be released as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see a varifocal turret with 1/1.8" sensor soon. :)

I bought a 5542 from him as well a couple of weeks ago and wanted one of these in addition to it and he said he wouldn't have stock till next month.

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, at least there is plenty of time for other models to be released as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see a varifocal turret with 1/1.8" sensor soon. :)
That is what I was hoping for, and being my country is now 4 days into a minimum 28 day lockdown, I guess I afford to wait and see now.

Would be nice to have a 4k model that can stay in full colour all night like the 5442 manages to off the LED street light outside my house.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Words of wisdom as far as the new models are concerned, never be quick to jump on any of the new models released. Only buy if you're confident and convinced by the reviews and samples posted here. The 5442 is great picture-quality wise, but there is no varifocal turret yet. It could be tomorrow or eons for it to be released. Its all about patience. :D
Imagine a 4K Turret with a 4/3" sensor :drool: Unfortunately, this is prohibitively expensive at the moment and not all that practical to squeeze into a turret foam factor at this time. Wouldn't it be the ultimate beast? Definitely. :headbang:

That is what I was hoping for, and being my country is now 4 days into a minimum 28 day lockdown, I guess I afford to wait and see now.

Would be nice to have a 4k model that can stay in full colour all night like the 5442 manages to off the LED street light outside my house.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks for this review. I also looked at your IPC-T5442TM-AS review and was going to get that one. But now I'm on the fence between the 4MP 1/1.8" vs this 8MP 1/2.7". I like low light, but it would be nice to get quality daytime shots of animals and kids as the go about. Does this camera allow for an external microphone to be installed so the audio and video are recorded together? I didn't see any mention of audio on this one.

How did you feel about the night time performance. The 4MP one seem brighter, but I'm not sure if that was representative of the camera performance or sometimes you were testing different settings.

Thanks!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks for this review. I also looked at your IPC-T5442TM-AS review and was going to get that one. But now I'm on the fence between the 4MP 1/1.8" vs this 8MP 1/2.7". I like low light, but it would be nice to get quality daytime shots of animals and kids as the go about. Does this camera allow for an external microphone to be installed so the audio and video are recorded together? I didn't see any mention of audio on this one.

How did you feel about the night time performance. The 4MP one seem brighter, but I'm not sure if that was representative of the camera performance or sometimes you were testing different settings.

Thanks!
Spec wise the way 1/1.8 sensor will do better in low light even with respect to aperture listed.

Unfortunately, this model does not have mic built in. Based on the pictures posted by @looney2ns there is no mic output. There is only one wire for Ethernet and the other being 12v power supply. This is the norm for the lite series and this price range.

However, there should be a version with mic built in, typically with model # ending in -ZAS for an extra $5-$10 dollars USD

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this the same physical size as the 2231?
It sure looks like it also seeing that the 2231 is in a turret flavor as well and all varifocal turret models being similar dimensions-wise. Therefore should be compatible with PFA130E and PFA137 mounts as well

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The PFA137 has a slimmer profile and is easier to manage when tucking the wires back into the junction box. I also find the PFA130E having a more involved process in terms of putting everything back together and is more prone to water ingress than the PFA137. The PFA137 design simply works flawlessly. The only issue is that you're stuck with upgrading to cameras that only support the PFA137 mount. Whereas the PFA130E mount supports fixed lens turrets, varifocal turrets, and surprisingly, bullet cameras as well.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2 has a built-in mic but is not a turret model

Interestingly the HFW2831T-ZAS (version 1.0) has the 1/1.8 sensor whereas the S2 version has 1/2.7 sensor, sporting same model number :confused:

Note: Original ZAS bullet model with built-in mic has the 1/1.8 sensor and was 8mp (supporting 30fps 4K!), but is no longer available

Here is the S2 model (only 15fps 4K)

Here is the original ZS model (w/o mic but still has 1/1.8 sensor F1.9, which should render better image quality) and supporting 30fps at 4K

Would have been nice to see DH-IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS available as a turret model

I feel like the model @looney2ns reviewed here could still be a good contender seeing that it has a F1.5 aperture versus the IPC-HDW5831R-ZE (F1.9 aperture) :) HFW1831E has a F1.6 aperture but with 1/1.8 sensor. I'm not sure why this turret(being a newer model) only supports 15fps at 4K, still puzzles me. Would be great to see more detailed side-by-side comparisons :D Guess we can't have everything in the lite series category :p :idk:

@EMPIRETECANDY

Attachments

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your very informative review Looney ,I have decided I need one of these in my life to replace my older IPC-HFW4830E-S
Plenty of stock here in the UK and a little cheaper..

I also ordered the PFB230 & PFA130E

2020-04-07 22_28_18-Microsoft Edge.jpg

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to your review @ljw2k The more feedback the merrier. I'm a little hesitant to touch this model at the moment. It only supports 4K at 15fps. There were a few 4K Starlight models from last year that had the 1/1.8" sensor and supported 4K at 25-30fps. I know its not all about numbers. However, the drop in fps caught my attention as some users use their cameras for specific uses :( Heck, I might still try one out and play along :lol:

Thanks for your very informative review Looney ,I have decided I need one of these in my life to replace my older IPC-HFW4830E-S
Plenty of stock here in the UK and a little cheaper..

I also ordered the PFB230 & PFA130E

View attachment 58999

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I've installed it today :) I only used the PF230 and Weatherproof tape as it sits under the bay window under the gutter which shades it from the rain a little more. What I would like to say is the PF230 bracket is not very good IMHO as it just doesn't sit right for my liking but will do.

I had a 6 series ptz on the other side further up the wall but that's now been sold and my lonely PFA120 Junction Box is waiting it's new host.

2020-04-08 19.34.07.jpg2020-04-08 19.34.19.jpg

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Never thought a camera can look so pretty. Its officially in the home decor category :thumb:

Well I've installed it today :) I only used the PF230 and Weatherproof tape as it sits under the bay window under the gutter which shades it from the rain a little more. What I would like to say is the PF230 bracket is not very good IMHO as it just doesn't sit right for my liking but will do.

I had a 6 series ptz on the other side further up the wall but that's now been sold and my lonely PFA120 Junction Box is waiting it's new host.

View attachment 59045View attachment 59046

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of setting to be made yet and just a quick Video in forced colour.
Note when zooming In & Out it does take a few seconds to get focus again but when it does it gets it spot on.

All Pictures taken @2.7mm & @13.5mm

2.7mm COLOUR
colour.jpg

13.5MM COLOUR
2colour.jpg

2.7MM B&W
bw.jpg

13.5MM B&W
1bw.jpg

Last edited:

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would this be a good camera to replace the 5231r-ze?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Would this be a good camera to replace the 5231r-ze?
That’s a tricky question to answer, but in my opinion, no it won’t

You will be better off with the the 3241T
A thorough comparison would help though

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with @Arjun. The 3241T looks to do better than the 5231 if you need to keep a varifocal. If you can used a fixed-lens, the 5442 models jump to 4MP and have about the same low-light specs as the 3241T.