Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Set the Zoom Speed to '1'. Hover your cursor over the slider and a value will pop up. This is the current setting.
Move the slider to the far left to get the minimum number, and to the far right to get the maximum number.

View attachment 153763

Go to the calculator that you linked to and use these numbers.

Realize that for the 5442 cams, the fixed lenes are on a different mount than the varifocal cams. Which means that the calculated value will not be the exact value of the fixed lens version. I did a test of this in the following thread:

What I have found is that the fixed lens versions have slightly better specs, but I do not think that this translates to a better image that one can see in real life.
I was nearly concluding I needed 6mm, I'm glad you posted here. A fixed 6mm is way different then the varifocal at theoretical 6mm, I thought life was going to be easier just testing the varifocal all around and then going shopping for fixed lenses knowing they would fit... God, this is not easy!

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
from the calculator, it was giving me about 6mm at the zoom I wanted, but that would convert to perhaps 3.5 on a fixed lens with same sensor size? It seems like I'll need to buy a fixed camera to test. I'm wondering how much different a fixed 3.5mm would be from a varifocal at 2.7mm.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it’s mostly about F Stop

With the current 5442 VF MAX aperture is F1.8
The fixed is F1.6

Again not a photography expert but the MAX aperture assumes 2.7mm focus in this case on the 2.7-12mm VF. As you zoom, that number increases. (Lower is better) so at say 6mm the FStop might be 2.0?

With higher zoom PTZs it becomes more obvious, and the specs typically give the aperture range based on zoom

Example:
On my SD6AL433XA-HNR
Max. ApertureF1.5–F4.8
I think that is why a fixed lens would have better low light quality, it will have bigger aperture, if you get the varifocal to match that 3.5 or 6mm, then the aperture gets smaller and you get less light in, right? Sorry I'm just learning all these things from reading posts here :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was nearly concluding I needed 6mm, I'm glad you posted here. A fixed 6mm is way different then the varifocal at theoretical 6mm, I thought life was going to be easier just testing the varifocal all around and then going shopping for fixed lenses knowing they would fit... God, this is not easy!
I thought life was going to be easier just testing the varifocal all around and then going shopping for fixed lenses knowing they would fit

For this simple minded old guy, that is what I did, haha, it worked for me, I think, LOL Well at least I bought the right CAMs, all Fixed 5442s, @samplenhold is right, the Varifocal mount is much bigger, but for me the Varifocal got me enough info for what I needed.

Sites like this helped me too:

Sorry for my ignorance...just chiming in.

These were the settings I entered for Front yard CAM:
1675989049189.png
My Installation Heights are 8 foot, under my Eves,
I know this is a bit vague, but it helped me see my Dead
Spot under my CAMs...before I tested with the Varifocal...

Last edited: