Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a link with all firmwares and changelog specific for this model? When I use the manual check for online upgrades, it says I'm using the latest one (System Version2.800.15OG004.0.T, Build Date: 2020-11-23)
HX5XXX-Volt series is the main product of Dahua.
Feel free to update to the latest firmware.
DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.840.0000000.18.R.220629
In the second half of 2022, the firmware of Dahua's star products will be changed to HX5(4)XXX-Taurus

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY - I have some of these cameras at my old house. What would you suggest as updated models for this camera for my new house? Or is this the latest model and just stick with it?
These are still the king of the hill, especially if you need infrared.

While newer, the 4K/X is an incredible full color camera, but does need light or use the white led on it. But they don't have a varifocal version.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are still the king of the hill, especially if you need infrared.

While newer, the 4K/X is an incredible full color camera, but does need light or use the white led on it. But they don't have a varifocal version.
Perfect! Thank you

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @EMPIRETECANDY - I have some of these cameras at my old house. What would you suggest as updated models for this camera for my new house? Or is this the latest model and just stick with it?
Great to know you will move to new house, the T5442T-ZE still be very good, if want to get a 4K version with IR check the IPC-T5842T-ZE, it's working great too after the new fw update.
If place has some light in the night use the IPC-Color4K-X bullet or IPC-Color4K-T, they are full color killer cameras now!

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any chance @EMPIRETECANDY we'll see a varifocal version of the 4K/X coming down the pipe?
A varifocal with F/1.0 lens and 1/1.1.2" sensor would be a killer product.
Even more so if "just" 2MP (which works since you can frame precisely) which means the pixels would be huge and serious light suckers!

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At a recent Hikvision webinar, they talked about the DS-2CE79DF8T-AZE ... which has nice specs: Vari-focal, 2MP (works since you can precisely frame things), F/1.0 lens, 1/1.8" sensor ... so that's pretty darn close!

And I believe the price point is "reasonable" ... BUT ... it is a Turbo-HD product, not a Network Camera ... darn!

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How can I check what the zoom level of this camera is equivalent to focal length in mm? I'm trying to use this camera to help me establish what focal length I need at different areas so I can buy fixed lens cameras.

I was hoping there would be a way to find this on the camera itself, but so far no luck:

1675958722456.png

1675958774587.png

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
My view is that you should just get all varifocal cameras. So often I've been set on a view, and then in the future realized that moving it to the left and zooming in makes more sense. Often its because I've moved something that I'm focusing on, or something like I've added a tree etc.

Not a single one of my cameras are on the same zoom level as when I first installed them

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was informed in another topic about Focal Length Calculator

My idea with fixed lens is to get the best quality possibly where I've settled for the focal length. I read somewhere the quality of image on varifocal decreases a bit compared to a fixed lens.

By the way, what a difference between my crap Unifi G3 Flex and the IPC-T5442T-ZE as it gets darker. I'm so pleased!

1675964927877.png

1675964944909.png

Reaction score
How can I check what the zoom level of this camera is equivalent to focal length in mm? I'm trying to use this camera to help me establish what focal length I need at different areas so I can buy fixed lens cameras.
Set the Zoom Speed to '1'. Hover your cursor over the slider and a value will pop up. This is the current setting.
Move the slider to the far left to get the minimum number, and to the far right to get the maximum number.

1675969659977.png

Go to the calculator that you linked to and use these numbers.

Realize that for the 5442 cams, the fixed lenes are on a different mount than the varifocal cams. Which means that the calculated value will not be the exact value of the fixed lens version. I did a test of this in the following thread:

What I have found is that the fixed lens versions have slightly better specs, but I do not think that this translates to a better image that one can see in real life.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it’s mostly about F Stop

With the current 5442 VF MAX aperture is F1.8
The fixed is F1.6

Again not a photography expert but the MAX aperture assumes 2.7mm focus in this case on the 2.7-12mm VF. As you zoom, that number increases. (Lower is better) so at say 6mm the FStop might be 2.0?

With higher zoom PTZs it becomes more obvious, and the specs typically give the aperture range based on zoom

Example:
On my SD6AL433XA-HNR
Max. ApertureF1.5–F4.8